Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Solution????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guanabana

Guanabana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi im currently using MSE but I dont like it cause my other computer got a rat with MSE i was thinking about using Bit defender, i dont like avast cause its intrusive and AVG makes the pc slow, eset i dont like lately is there any AV which is non intrusive and dosent interfere in social media that is good??????? I do visit a site called hackforums.net a lot to learn about website self defense and that site seems dodgy most of the time so oh also im currently using comodo firewall i might test out their av but what do you think??? any help is appreciated :)

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

MSE and Comodo are a fantastic primary firewall and AV combo. Be sure you have other scanners you run periodically as well, such as Spybot SnD, Malwarebytes, Hitmanpro, AdAware, and ESET online. 

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hi im currently using MSE but I dont like it cause my other computer got a rat with MSE...

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors before they can add a new threat to database definitions before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. Every security vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as Heuristic Analysis, Behavioral Analysis, Sandboxing and Signature file detection (containing the binary patterns of known virus signatures) which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus or anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition (naming standards) of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users