Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

of win7, admin rights, admin accounts, and real admin accounts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

okay. freshly into win7 now, having obtained a new hdd for my comp. I have been running as the admin of my computer since accounts became an unavoidable thing. barring the occasional frustration-induced blunder I tend to stay Properly Paranoid in my habits to make sure I have no problems... but win7 doesn't think that I could ever be intelligent enough to have full rights on any account other than the built-in admin account, which of course I'd want to avoid using outside emergencies that render other accounts damaged somehow. so I'm looking to find out how to make another user account with FULL admin rights. not just the "constantly have to get permission" stuff that a standard*snort* admin account has, full rights that don't involve constantly having to "run as administrator" yes yes I've heard people trying to get me more paranoid so that I'd endure the added hassles, all it does is make me more irate with the situation. so if noone's willing to provide me with instruction on this, it's probably best for the thread to be left to fall off the board.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haycg

haycg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

I don't know what your problem is. To make another administrator account - Start - Control panel - User Account - 

Manage another account - Create a new account - Give it a name - put a check mark for Administrator - 

click - Create Account. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

If you decide to create a 'super administrator' account, then protect it with a strong password.

However, this isn't really your problem if I am reading you correctly - it's the UAC system. You can change the settings on this through the control panel 'Start / Control panel / User accounts'. In the dialogue box you arrive at, in the top centre, there is a list of options. The bottom one is the one you want - 'User Account Settings'. click on this and you can change the level of 'pop-ups' to suit yourself. One click down from maximum suits me, but you can, if you wish, reduce the level all the way to zero. This is not recommended, but it is your computer and your choice.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

You can download "take ownership." This will add take ownership of any folder on your computer to your context menu. You can then save things where you want and gets past the admin hassles.

#5 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

If you decide to create a 'super administrator' account, then protect it with a strong password.

However, this isn't really your problem if I am reading you correctly - it's the UAC system. You can change the settings on this through the control panel 'Start / Control panel / User accounts'. In the dialogue box you arrive at, in the top centre, there is a list of options. The bottom one is the one you want - 'User Account Settings'. click on this and you can change the level of 'pop-ups' to suit yourself. One click down from maximum suits me, but you can, if you wish, reduce the level all the way to zero. This is not recommended, but it is your computer and your choice.

Chris Cosgrove

the problem is that even with UAC's slider set to zero, there are still an array of things that will get UAC'd for any normal admin account.

I don't know what your problem is. To make another administrator account - Start - Control panel - User Account - 

Manage another account - Create a new account - Give it a name - put a check mark for Administrator - 

click - Create Account. 

the problem is that there are two different levels of admin account in win7. the account you make when you first install or by just doing that is the restricted type, whereas the built-in and normally hidden administrator account is of the unrestricted type that I seek to create another of.

You can download "take ownership." This will add take ownership of any folder on your computer to your context menu. You can then save things where you want and gets past the admin hassles.

I question how much help that will be; it's not going to change things so that I don't need, for example, to run 7zip as an administrator to make it's file associations actually get set. things like this offend me. if I'm already an "administrator" I shouldn't be having to "run as administrator" anything.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Disable UAC

The first thing I did with my Win 7 installs...is disable UAC because I consider it a nuisance with little redeeming value.  Microsoft sometimes goes overboard when it designs operating systems to protect users from themselves...the result is something like UAC.  I don't need that type of "protection".

Louis

#7 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've already set the slider all the way to never notify. there are still things that provoke UAC prompts for a regular administrator account that do not for the built-in admin account that's hidden by default. which I do not wish to use for normal computing in the event some kind of malware sneaks through that causes problems specifically linked to user accounts. this is why I want to create another account of that type.

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Adding user/users to the administrators group should never display any UAC dialog box if the UAC slider is set to mimimum.

Ever used lusrmgr.msc?

#9 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

....I've not even attempted to add a user yet, much less had a UAC prompt about it; and yes I've used lusrmgr.msc, that's where I unhid the built-in admin account that never gets UAC'd period.

various things, including adding things to the registry, however, continue to be prompted depending on windows 7's mood. and things that can set their own file associations need to either be "run as administrator" or actually run while using the built-in admin account to not have win7 immediately undo their associations... as I discovered within the first fifteen minutes of using win7 when I installed 7zip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users