Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Slimline smells like it's burning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjroussin

mjroussin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline desktop at computer at home. For the past 3 weeks or so, everytime I turn on the machine, it smells like something is burning, but the machine still turns on. After about 30 minutes or so, of browsing the web and working in excel (no strenuous video, mostly excel work), the unit will power down. The blue light on the tower will stay on, but the fan and everything turn off leaving the monitor blank, and no power is being sent to the keyboard either. 

Now today, I go to power on the unit, and a puff of smoke comes out the back end of the tower and the unit will not turn on at all. Can someone help me figure out what the issue is or if the tower is fried all together?

Thanks,

MJR

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2013 - 08:10 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer!  :welcome:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it'll either be the power supply or a fan of the CPU. The CPU may be overheating due to a malfunctioning CPU fan, and the fan may have a short causing the smoke. A puff of smoke seems like quite a bit, so the PSU may be the result. I'd bet on the CPU fan.

Can you pop open the case and take a look? 

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 Guanabana

Guanabana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Have you ever hit your computer???? Because this sounds like there are problems between the cords or something, also maybe get an adapter cause sometimes computers need different types of energy.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

You did not post the model number of your computer so that makes it difficult to offer any suggestions that are related to your specific hardware.

It also makes it difficult to determine the exact age of your computer system and how badly the case could be possibly a victim of dust related accumulation.

Please open the computer case and examine your hardware for signs of dust clogged up cooling fans.

The PSU might be tougher to examine, but you should still be able to see the condition of the cooling fans without opening the PSU and I recommend that you DO NOT open the PSU as there is components inside that case that can cause electrical shock or severe electrical burns to fingers!

There is no doubt, that your system has a failed component, however, that does not mean your system is trash. Most PSU (Power Supply) have a fuse on the primary side of the transformer. Sometimes, this fuse blows before the unit is severely damaged. The problem with this fuse, is that it is not easy to replace because it is located inside the PSU case and requires opening it to gain access to the fuse.

If your computer did over heat because of dust clogs embedded in any cooling fans, I would first disconnect the computer from the mains (AC power line) and at least try to clean out the dust and then inspect the motherboard and the power connectors for signs of a dark brown or black (charred) appearance. I recommend touching the computer case for a few seconds before touching the parts inside the computer case to help prevent possible damage from static electrical discharge. There is a possibility the area is burned to the point the connection has failed and can no longer be of any use in the safe operation of the computer system.

As for the PSU, you could have someone who understands the dangers involved with working with stored AC voltage check the status of the fuse and the condition of the PSU's components, such as are there any burned or browned circuit board areas. If not, you could try a PSU replacement and see if the computer powers back up again.

I truly--without looking at the computer in person--can not say if your motherboard is fried or not, but that is also a possibility.

Inspection is key to our next course of action here and I recommend that you do such an inspection and post back any obvious conditions you observe.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users