Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot, even in safe mode, startup repair doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rara25

Rara25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Is my hard drive dead? Here's what I've already tried:
Chkdsk /r (which did find some bad files)
Startup repair (which did not identify the issue)
Starting in safe mode - result was a partial start with list of drivers, then a blank screen
System restore to earlier date - tells me there is no restore point (?!)
Can't reinstall Vista bc I no longer have the cd

Fortunately, I have Carbonite, so probably haven't lost any important files. Before I head for the Apple store, I thought I'd see if anyone has additional ideas to get this PC to boot?

Thanks in advance, Rachel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rara25

Rara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

I should also note that my PC downloaded a big Windows update yesterday. It did boot properly afterwards, but i had to do two hard reboots this morning bc the system froze, wouldnt even launch task manager.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

If you can't boot into Windows at all, how are you running chkdsk /r?

Chkdsk /r searches for bad sectors and recovers readable data.  This would make it worth while running a diagnostic test on the hdd.  

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users