Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aida32, Aida64, WhoCrashed and Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have two computers, a 2004-vintage desktop running Windows XP SP3, and a new laptop running Windows 8.  On the old desktop I have long had Aida32 installed.  Am I correct in thinking that Aida32 will not work (at least not correctly) on a Win 8 machine, and that I therefore need Aida64 for the laptop?

On the old desktop I have also long had WhoCrashed installed.  It is a crash dump analyzer and I've found it very useful (that machine occasionally crashes, due to a somewhat obsolete video driver).  The latest upgrade of WhoCrashed failed to install, however.  I have downloaded the installation file several times and the install always crashes with the same error messages.  It seems that it's not WhoCrashed itself, but a Microsoft .dll on which it depends, that is causing the problem - if I understand the error messages correctly.  I could re-create those error messages if it would be useful (it's now several weeks since I looked at that problem).  Suggestions?

Thanks for enlightenment,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Is whocrashed stated as working with Windows 8?

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

I use Aida64 as well (Audit machiens and dump HTML to network share) but i found it wasnt compadible with Windows 8. Im using an older version so all i did was just remove the login script for the Windows 8 OU Group i create. I then manually audit them once say every 3 months or so.

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

The AIDA32 info lists all Windows up to Win 7, but not Win 8.  It also says "32 bit Windows versions" which I take it does not include Win 8.  The AIDA64 info specifically lists Win 8 and says it works on all 32 bit and 64 bit Windows versions.  AIDA32 works fine on my antique Win XP machine, and on the old Win XP laptop in the office, but I am supposing I need to buy AIDA64 licenses for the Win 8 machines (my laptop at home, and one in the office).

AIDA32 is free (development stopped on it years ago) and AIDA64 is not.  I have no objection to paying for value delivered!  I was just hoping for some confirmation before I went ahead with buying AIDA64 licenses.

As for WhoCrashed, the update failure occurred on my old Win XP machine, where previous versions have worked fine.  I haven't tried to install WhoCrashed on a Win 8 machine.  Question arising, has the format of crash dump files changed? or their names?  If not I would naively suppose that WhoCrashed might work in the Win 8 environment?  If, that is, there is a currently viable version of WhoCrashed at all?

Thanks for any information!

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

In the meantime I have heard from Daniel Terhell at Resplendence Software, makers of Whocrashed.  He says I must have something installed on my computer that prevents Whocrashed from running properly.  OK, I thought as much, but how to find it?  The only major software changes recently have been installation of VentaFax (I think Whocrashed was still working after that), installation of TeamViewer (but I haven't actually used it yet), and upgrade of Avast! free antivirus to Avast! Internet Security.  Quite recently there was an "emergency update" of AIS that did not go to completion, and after that I could not get to the Web at all (Email was still OK).  Called Avast phone support, they said download the install package and reinstall.  Good, but how to download a package if you can't get on line? <G>.  Another call to Avast phone support, they said their tech could fix it but that it would cost me $200 or thereabouts.  I said no thanks.  After some thought I went to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs (Win XP!), selected the AIS and selected "Repair".  It took two tries before that would go to completion, but when it did my Internet access via IE8 was restored.  I found however that OE-QuoteFix (an add-on that corrects the clumsy quotation system in Outlook Express) no longer worked.  After a couple of reboots OE-QuoteFix started working - but then Internet Explorer no longer worked.  Back to Control Panel, repaired AIS again (again it took two tries, the first one did not go to completion) so now I am back to functional IE8 but again without OE-QuoteFix.

Any suggestions?  Have I got some funky malware somewhere?  Neither Malwarebytes nor a full scan with Avast! found anything.

Thanks,

John

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users