Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaine

Kaine

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

Ok, I don't know if I'm posting this in the the right place, but my computer has been locking up/freezing/forcing me to reset it. What I know is that whenever its CPU fan is running alot (maybe unnecessarily) the system likes to lock up. It happened often when I played FEAR, the CPU was working hard then.

Now, I'm thinking that it has something to do with possible overheating issues, but the tower is not against the wall or in a cabinet. I recently replaced a PSU (power supply unit) with a $100 PSU, so there's more than enough power for it. I'm just wondering if it's a hardware problem or a software issue. (I've stopped using FEAR, system still locks up from Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and other high-CPU-use programs.)

I built my system from a barebones kit, so it's possible that the motherboard is a POS. The previous PSU was from the same kit, it died on me.

PC specs:
P4 3.00 GHZ (Intel 630)
1 GB Kingston RAM (two 512MB sticks)
Motherboard: Chaintech MP4M800 (Link to it: here)
AGP Video Card: ATI Radeon 9550 256MB RAM
Wireless NIC: Netgear
SATA hard drive: Maxtor 100GB

Thanks in advance,
Kaine
Daddy, what does "FORMATTING DRIVE C" mean?

--------------------------------------------

My Computer

Windows XP SP2
P4 3.00GHZ
1GB RAM
256MB Radeon 9550 AGP Video Card
Netgear WG311 V3 Wireless PCI NIC
Chaintech MP4M800 Mobo
Maxtor 100GB SATA Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

I used to think my computer had overheating issues too, but mine was in a cabinet and I figured out it wasn't overheating. My computer still freezes... but atleast I know its not that haha.

During Setup follow instuctions on the boots until you get to a blue screen with yellow writing and move over to 'PC Health' to check the temp. of your comp. The usual key is F8 for most computers and it's pressed repeatedly during memory test and drive check. The key might be different for your computer, so if it says so then follow those directions.
-TJB

#3 Kaine

Kaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:56 AM

According to SpeedFan, it's currently at 52C, I've only seen it at 70 degrees Celsius, but I only installed SpeedFan today.

However, I recall seeing the PC Health in BIOS stating that it was at 90 or so, but that was due to my fan/heatsink not seated correctly.
Daddy, what does "FORMATTING DRIVE C" mean?

--------------------------------------------

My Computer

Windows XP SP2
P4 3.00GHZ
1GB RAM
256MB Radeon 9550 AGP Video Card
Netgear WG311 V3 Wireless PCI NIC
Chaintech MP4M800 Mobo
Maxtor 100GB SATA Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users