Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows fonts missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maxheadroom

maxheadroom

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:30 PM

:thumbsup:
Hi ya'll.
I have a real mess. All of the text on my windows XP home are showing in symbolic text. I can not do any system changes, because I can not read the descriptions. When I run my browser or email program all is fine. Using firefox and thunderbird. All cap type is fine, but lower case font is in some symbolic font. Quite some time ago, I set the option to use a set of fonts that makes viewing more clear. I don't remember what it was called. This has been working for at least a year.

I had a power bump while the computer was unattended. I don't have a UPS, but I do have surge protection. There was a hard reboot and the system came up with the weird fonts. I really don't want to re-install and lose all the work that I have done over the years.

Any help will be appreciated.

EZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:27 PM

Hi maxheadroom,

Have you attempted a simple "system restore" to a couple of days before you had the power bump?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 maxheadroom

maxheadroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2004 - 09:48 PM

I have tried restore. It does not work. In fact I have never succesfully restored from a restore point. I don't know why I even bother to run restore.

I still have the problem
Thanks
EZ

#4 mrne72

mrne72

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 21 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

Would that font that took over happen to be Marlett? A friend had that happen to his computer, it took over the whole system, the welcome message was all screwed up, all the little note windows that pop up when you hover the mouse over an item, everything. I don't remember what was needed to fix it, but thought that might help you find a place to start :thumbsup:

#5 maxheadroom

maxheadroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:05 AM

The problem is fixed. I don't know for sure what the problem was, but Norton whole system scan ran during the night. This morning it reported a suspect file and asked to delete the file. I could not read the description because of the scrambled text. I said yes and rebooted. Now all of my system text is back to normal.

Thanks for your replies.

EZ :thumbsup:

Edited by maxheadroom, 22 November 2004 - 09:05 AM.

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:17 AM

You said that everything is normal again. Have you tried to make a new restore point? If you havent, you might want to so that you will have something to go back to, if it messes up again.

Also, if you was having a hard time getting to the System Restore before, you can always make a shortcut on your desktop.

Right-click on the desktop and select new->shortcut. When it comes up for location, copy and paste the code below:

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click next. Rename it System Restore and click finish. The icon will change automatically to the pic that you see when you launch it normally.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 maxheadroom

maxheadroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Jason. It had not occurred to me to do the restore from safe mode. I experimented and found that the restore works fine from safe mode.

EZ :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users