Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Computer as Router/PFSense with Comcast

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scott00049

scott00049

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

I looked on the forums but I guess I don't search too good....lol  Anyways, I am wanting to use an old desktop to be my router w/PFSense as the OS.  My question is this, I have Comcast for an ISP and they have given me a modem that is also the router.  The cable comes in from the wall to the modem/router, and this same box is connected by rj-45 to the computer.  IT is also a wi-fi access point.  Do I need to get a basic modem that has no router function to replace this?  Wouldn't it be a waste of time setting up the pc as a router since the modem is also the router?  I wouldn't gain anything using the pc if I still use Comcast's modem/router would I?

Like i said, I looked and didn't find anything...

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

All you'd gain by doing that is education on how to set up an old PC as a firewall. That's not a bad thing if that's what you want to learn but no you wouldn't gain much over the modem/router combo. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 scott00049

scott00049
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks.  That is what I was thinking as well.  I was hoping it would be a way to boost speed up & down, but I kept having the thought in my head that if the Comcast router was still part of the equation that "You are only as fast as your slowest link".  

thanks for the confirmation. :thumbup2:

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

I looked on the forums but I guess I don't search too good....lol  Anyways, I am wanting to use an old desktop to be my router w/PFSense as the OS.  My question is this, I have Comcast for an ISP and they have given me a modem that is also the router.  The cable comes in from the wall to the modem/router, and this same box is connected by rj-45 to the computer.  IT is also a wi-fi access point.  Do I need to get a basic modem that has no router function to replace this?

You would not need to get just a "pure" modem, but it would be the better option. Using two routers presents the chance that you can slow down your connection as well create other networking issues. While generally it will work fine, I would tend to avoid it if you can.

Wouldn't it be a waste of time setting up the pc as a router since the modem is also the router?  I wouldn't gain anything using the pc if I still use Comcast's modem/router would I?

Like i said, I looked and didn't find anything...

Thanks,
Scott

As CaveDweller2 noted, you really don't gain anything by adding in a computer acting as a router and don't really gain anything by replacing the Comcast router/modem with a "pure" modem and your computer router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users