Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

speakers and headphones at the same time

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

The laptop one of my kids use for their school work has been playing sound out of both the headphones and the speakers.  It's a Dell Inspiron.  I can get more details on that if needed.
I have done a lot of searching on google, tried several things... disabling, uninstalling, updating drivers, adjusting settings, etc.  So far, I haven't figured it out.  My daughter is doing schoolwork on it right now otherwise I'd be looking at it some more.  There is a sound program on there that I think I might have to try and uninstall or something.
I'll give that a try later... 
Any thoughts on the issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Try this.

1. Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.

2. put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".

3. Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".

4. Uncheck the device that you don't want to play music/sounds.

5. Click Apply and Ok.

Did this help?

Edited by chrisd87, 17 December 2013 - 03:58 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

In general, and not just on laptops, audio systems which are designed to work with both loud speakers and headphones incorporate a switch in the headphone socket to disable the speakers when headphones are plugged in. This normally works by a contact which is pushed out of the way as the headphone jack is plugged in, and like all switches can fail.

If this is the case here, then it is a hardware problem and not a software one. A brief spray of switch cleaner into the headphone jack followed by several rapid insertions of the headphone jack might resolve the problem. If you can't get switch cleaner in outer space then a drop of iso-propyl alchohol will do just about as well.

If that doesn't work and the laptop is out of warranty, then depending on how annoying to everybody else the problem is, then you may need to consider getting more drastic. The first approach would be to think about replacing the headphome socket. this would require (1) dismantling the laptop, and (2) being able to source a replacement. I would have a look on YouTube for videos on how to dismantle your model of laptop before I went down this route.

Another approach, assuming the laptop is well out of warranty, would be to install some sort of kill switch on the feed to the speakers. This would also require dismantling the laptop, some expertise with a soldering iron, the willingness to drill a smallish hole in the laptop case and a suitable miniature DPST (double pole, single throw) switch.

I can understand how annoying this can be - there you are trying to listen to some contemplative piece of music on your hi-fi, with the sounds of Angry Birds in the background !  Lowering the volume on the laptop won't improve things either because the one volume control affects both speakers and headphones. Turning the volume down would mean that your daughter can't hear her instructions. Looking on the bright side, it does mean she can't get away with Angry Birds - or whatever is her fancy - when she is supposed to be doing her homework !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users