Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Safe and Secure Web Browsing a Myth?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

I find it hard to believe that no one has come up with a really safe and secure web browser. Possibily a paid for web browser? Where a person's private details and surfing habits are not harvested for profit and pop-ups and unwanted ads are no longer tolerated. Where a user can decide exactly what he/she wants displayed on their screens. After all companies provide paid-for anti-virus etc so why not a really safe and secure web browser? Or am i living in cloud cuckoo land? Would welcome any comments on this subject

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Read rburkartjo cheesemakers-linux corner latest post...Ultimate Edition 3.8 Distro...interesting...

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hey there battyhippie, have you used this Distro yet?

Was just looking for some feedback.

Thanks,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Nope, not yet, but is it not quite interesting? I just can't wait to try out Linux!  My son got me a new computer, which is still in the box, and I am waiting for a printer cable (that I do need) and USB sticks for well, to back up the new 'puter and to go live. What I was going to do with the XP, is now going on the 8. But, the real hold- up is my son is moving (to his first apt), which is this week, so once settled in, we will get the new computer up and running and on to Linux (I did promise him I would wait and we will set it up together). But you will know when I am up and running because I can almost guarantee I will have more questions than you can can imagine!

#5 jcsh

jcsh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Comodos virtual browser is awesome for windows of course

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Safe browsing is like the Cubs winning the World Series again in our lifetime.  A computer is only as safe as the person using it, no matter what layers of protection you put in place.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

The safest way that I know how to use the Internet & I do this when making transactions, is to run a Linux Live DVD. I have a Linux Mint 16 install DVD that is great for this purpose & since it runs from the memory after the fresh boot, any malware that could have been in memory is gone. That's assuming that I take care of my business & not doing a lot of browsing beforehand. Which is the main reason for this. Booting from a USB stick where persistence is enabled (your changes are saved) defeats that purpose. Though it's still quite good for many things.

One can do this with nearly any Linux OS that boots in Live or "Trial" mode. It's designed so that users can try the OS before install, but it serves for other purposes also, not only secure banking, but even resucing a Windows install under certain conditions.

The Live DVD is the only way that I know of for safe & secure Web browsing. Keep in mind though, your ISP still knows where you're traveling. This is for security, not total privacy, though unlike the installed OS, you shouldn't see a bunch of pop-up ads after using the Live DVD.

Hope this helps & Good Luck.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

Is Safe and Secure Web Browsing a Myth?

No.

I do it everyday I can not be infected or hacked. How you may ask? Easy. Linux live dvd or cd. I boot my system from a live dvd my pc has no hard drive when I shut down my pc everything is gone.

And I challange somebody to prove me wrong. Actual proof not some mysterious proof of concept bios worn that only exists in some fantasy experimental super evil geniuses lab . Or Sheldon Coopers pc.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 March 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

That's right, once the computer is shut down, everything in memory is gone. 

This is how I make my purchases & make other transactions & I've yet to be hacked. However I do this on my home network that's wired & never conduct business on wi-fi, period. 

As to how this would work in a public place, like someone sitting in the corner sniffing traffic, I don't know. The signals are still in the area, everyone shares the same host. I would like to think that the Linux Live DVD has some form of encryption, but I don't know to what degree. 

I do know that it's next to impossible to get hacked on a wired connection running by Live DVD. I won't go as far to say with 100% certainty that it can't happen, but I just don't see it. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

As to how this would work in a public place, like someone sitting in the corner sniffing traffic, I don't know.

Same here as I would never bank over WiFi. And I never use those WiFi hotspots for anything. Im paranoid.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:14 AM

Its very funny that nobody mentioned about BITBox (Browser in the Box)

You can download one ready to use from Sirrix (supported by German government) : http://download.sirrix.com/content/pages/bbdl-en.htm

Or you can make your own this way:

1. Install Virtual Box in Windows (or Linux or Mac)

2. Install Fedora Linux inside Virtual Box

3. Install Firefox inside Fedora Linux

Start Fedora from VirtualBox and use Firefox. Secure and safe.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

Its very funny that nobody mentioned about BITBox (Browser in the Box)

Thanks Romeo29 never heard of it, Read about it, Still to paranoid to do banking on anything but a live disc no HDD set up. Free tin foil hats anybody? If I need to bank I pull my SD Card and use dvd. But I will try it on my Windows pc.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 March 2014 - 02:30 AM.

#13 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

battyhippie, cat1092 and NickAu1 all have the easiest remedy and learningtobleep has the next most readily-available answer to your question, OP.  But, why worry so much aout the browser when the question is really bigger?  Like firmware and UEFI/EFI.

Backdoors? -- what about Frontdoors? 

LOL -- "Brave New World," indeed!

Edited by pane-free, 14 March 2014 - 02:58 AM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

battyhippie, cat1092 and NickAu1 all have the easiest remedy and learningtobleep has the next most readily-available answer to your question, OP.  But, why worry so much aout the browser when the question is really bigger?  Like firmware and UEFI/EFI.

Backdoors? -- what about Frontdoors? 

LOL -- "Brave New World," indeed!

Where do the UEFI bootkit and other malware come from? 90% of the times from your web browser. So if you use a Linux browser inside Virtual Box, the chances of getting malware become minimal. Or as NickAu1 said, use a live Linux CD/DVD to eliminate any chances of infection.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

and UEFI.

I know nothing about UEFI, Ok I know a little but not enough to comment, None of the pc's I or my family own have it. All our machines are Older units with Xp on them. Even the Hp I use hasnt got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users