Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I Add Programs to WAIK Answer File?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 b4dh3r0

b4dh3r0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hello,

I've been learning WAIK and built a basic Windows 7E 64-bit answer file. I want to incorporate a suite of programs our users routinely need. Essentially, I want to create custom configuration sets for the different types of systems we deploy (engineering, design, production, etc.) with the associated programs incorporated.

How do I take a program, say thunderbird.exe and automate it during the OS install? Is there a way to incorporate it into the answer file? What do I have to do to it to make this possible or do I have to add some sort of unattended automation script?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

You would have to install Windows then install all applications you want, and then create a Windows Image File with that installation. You must pay attention to ensure that the OS load is put on identical machines, or you will need to streamline all drivers for all hardware in your possession into the Windows Image File.

Please read here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825072.aspx

#3 b4dh3r0

b4dh3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Is there a way I can incorporate a script into the first logon that would run silent installs? 

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

You would have to do that via Windows Update Server and push it out via SUS. Each installer would have to be capable of being performed in silent mode with no user interaction.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

More read:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744252(WS.10).aspx

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

Why dont you just create (As you say you have different clients/nodes) OU groups on which have deployment through GPO. I have created them for such requirments as you state here and also one which cleans the computer of all software through GPO. Once the computer has been ran for the first time, it gets rebooted and moved to a Engineers OU group for instance.

if you really wanted to create a script, i would recommend usign batch with WMIC, copy the files from the network to C:\TEMP and start executign MSI or exe packages as reuired.

#7 b4dh3r0

b4dh3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Why dont you just create (As you say you have different clients/nodes) OU groups on which have deployment through GPO. I have created them for such requirments as you state here and also one which cleans the computer of all software through GPO. Once the computer has been ran for the first time, it gets rebooted and moved to a Engineers OU group for instance.

if you really wanted to create a script, i would recommend usign batch with WMIC, copy the files from the network to C:\TEMP and start executign MSI or exe packages as reuired.

I don't have any experience working with MS Server or Group Policy yet. We do have a domain controller for our marketting room, but we have an outside tech handle it. While this would be ideal, I don't want to touch it because I am too afraid of breaking something.

Essentially what I would like to do is host a set of preconfigured images on our file-share which I can install over the network. I have created an autounattend but I wanted a way of packaging in the program sets we use.

Can I use something like RT7Lite to at least run a batch attended install of these programs on first boot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users