Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Desktop Recovery Wont Go Away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmochnick

jmochnick

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hey everyone! First off, thank you for taking the time to look over my issue and potentially lend me a hand!

My issue involves the active desktop recovery background.

I work in a school district and we have laptops that auto-login to a heavily restricted student account. When they log in, you can see the initial background, but when the folder redirection applies and the icons load, the active desktop recovery background appears.

I have logged in as an administrator and did registry edits (local machine, software, microsoft, windows, current version, policies, explorer -> new DWORD value NoActiveDesktop "1") (users (located student account), software, microsoft, windows, current version, policies, explorer -> new DWORD value NoActiveDesktop "1") but the issue still comes up. Also while logged in as administrator I have right clicked the desktop, went to properties, desktop, unchecked the web page.

None of this has seemed to work and it baffles me considering the registry edits made.

Can anyone please give me a few ideas on what to try next, or what could be causing this?

Thank you very much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

How are the logins authenticated?

#3 jmochnick

jmochnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

As in locally or through Active Directory? If that's what you mean, they are going through active directory. They are configured to log on to only those machines.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Have a read here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811634.aspx - Disable Active Desktop via GPO in Active Directory.

#5 jmochnick

jmochnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thank you for that link. I am running out of time to take care of this today, but I will definitely try this out tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users