Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alph Shield X2?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

i just wondered what other users of this product may use with alpaha shield. I don't like ZA, it is the pits for me.
We get it free from the office and you wouldn't catch me using that product ever again.
None of us could ever get connected consistently to the internet.

I would appreciate responses as I know that one needs protection with alpha shield for outgoing...

Thx for listening and i look foward to replies, :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:59 PM

If you are talking about a firewall, I use Sygate and like it, it's also freeware. I also have tried ZA and don't care for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:38 AM

Is Sygate user friendly, as I have found that ZA besides being a resource hog that was fraught with problems (the latest version) i was unable to with my limited expertise know when something was good or bad asking me for permission as i did/do not what the site numbers are.
i know that alpha shield is supposed to protect what gets into the computer but not the outgoing info.
Anyone have any user friendly proggy comments, thankyou
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

I gotta tell you, Alpha Shield looks like a gimmick. I hope you didn't pay too much for it. Unless I'm missing something, you get the same protection from the common router, without all the hype. If it lets you out onto the internet, it will not protect against anything that you let in through mistake or even without your knowledge. Any common downloader trojan will doom your computer, since the gadget cannot differentiate between good programs on your computer trying to access the internet or bad ones trying to access the internet.

I've used Zone Alarm for years without problems. Yes, I know that it's difficult to figure out which programs to let through, but mostly it's automatically set up as long as you answer the questions correctly when you install and recognize the programs that are trying to contact the internet. (For instance, should you try to update Spyware Blaster, it will ask you if it's OK - that's not rocket science.) If you aren't sure, you can deny the access and see what the results are, and check the internet for the program in question with Google.

Sygate is no longer free (maybe because they've been acquired by the Norton people?), but earlier versions of the program can be found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users