Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse turns fuzzy, then computer freezes

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi, I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit PC and have recently had the problem where the cursor changes from a regular arrow and appears fuzzy with different colors and even had a halo a couple times. I'm lucky if I can get programs shut down before everything freezes. When the computer freezes up before I can do a normal shut down/restart, I have to do a hard shut down. I'm able to restart Windows normally.

The computer will also freeze at times when the cursor appears normal. This freezing happens perhaps every few days.

Overnight, I leave the computer on so backups can run. In the morning, when I wiggle the mouse to wake up the computer, I notice that the Windows clock says its really early in the morning, like anywhere from after midnight to 1:45 am. Messages in my gmail inbox are not refreshed. Not sure if that's any part of the problem with the computer freezing, but it seems to take a while for Windows to refresh itself in the morning.

I ran check disk and it didn't find anything bad that I can remember (it was a couple weeks ago). I ran SpyBot, MalwareBytes Anti-malware, SpywareBlaster - nothing bad found. AVG is my anti-virus. Windows Firewall. I try to keep up-to-date on the latest program versions and Windows updates.

Will someone please take a look at my Piriform snapshot?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3rS4SWlOqsU00ccwbRvWR2e

Is my RAM too low?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

I would replace the CMOS battery...then reset the data/time data in the BIOS and save the changes by hitting F10.

This will reboot the system.

Louis

#3 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Oh, maybe I wasn't clear enough. After I wiggle the mouse in the morning, to get the computer out of it's night mode, the time "seems" stuck at say 1:45 am, but after the computer wakes itself up properly, the time will adjust correctly to the current time. The time is correct all day long.

What could cause the fuzzy-looking mouse cursor? I tried to take a screenshot of it, but couldn't capture it.

#4 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

You have enough RAM, but some of it may be faulty.  Have you tried running memtest86 overnight?  That will usually rule out RAM problems, and since it's a free program it doesn't hurt to test.

http://www.memtest.org/

Edit: One other option that just occured to me: I see that you're running a WD "green" HDD as your primary drive.  I have one of those, and it takes them a while to un-park (I'm sure that's a technical term...).  I wonder if that may be the source of your problem.  I no longer use mine as a primary drive, it became storage after I installed an SSD a while back.

Edited by compnovo, 17 December 2013 - 05:30 PM.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#5 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I haven't run memtest86. I looked at the website and can't figure out which one to download. Once downloaded, how do I run it? Are there directions somewhere for how to run it?

Thanks

#6 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I haven't run memtest86. I looked at the website and can't figure out which one to download. Once downloaded, how do I run it? Are there directions somewhere for how to run it?

Thanks

It comes with instructions, but it's pretty straightforward.  You'll want to download the Windows version, and it's an ISO that you will need to burn to disc.  Then simply reboot your PC with the disc in the drive, hit "Enter" when prompted, and memtest will run the diagnostics.  If you see any errors at all you'll know you have a faulty stick of RAM. 

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#7 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

OK, will try that memtest tomorrow.

I just saw your edited post, and am not sure what you mean by "WD "green" HDD as your primary drive". Did you mean this item listed under "storage"?:  931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 ATA Device (SATA): 35 °C

Gosh, I don't really know what that is, nor what the Seagate is either. All I know is the Toshiba StorE (1.36 TB) is one of my 2 externals. The other external is Iomega (931 GB), which I don't see listed at my piriform link above. So the Western Digital and Seagate would be my C and D drives? Or maybe not?

I have my data (pictures, documents) on the D drive, and have programs on the C drive (along with a few of my personal data files). But the C and D drives are 465 GB each. Not sure why there are two "931GB" items listed.

It's the Iomega 931 GB external that often disconnects and I have to unplug it and replug it to get it started again.

#8 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

OK, will try that memtest tomorrow.

I just saw your edited post, and am not sure what you mean by "WD "green" HDD as your primary drive". Did you mean this item listed under "storage"?:  931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 ATA Device (SATA): 35 °C

Gosh, I don't really know what that is, nor what the Seagate is either. All I know is the Toshiba StorE (1.36 TB) is one of my 2 externals. The other external is Iomega (931 GB), which I don't see listed at my piriform link above. So the Western Digital and Seagate would be my C and D drives? Or maybe not?

I have my data (pictures, documents) on the D drive, and have programs on the C drive (along with a few of my personal data files). But the C and D drives are 465 GB each. Not sure why there are two "931GB" items listed.

It's the Iomega 931 GB external that often disconnects and I have to unplug it and replug it to get it started again.

Your comment about the Iomega drive has given me an idea.  Try running for a while with your external drives disconnected to see if that solves your problem.  My wife had a Mac Mini for a while that would hang while booting, and after considerable googling I narrowed it down to her external storage drive (actually, it was the enclosure causing the problem).  I swapped out storage drives and the system stopped hanging at boot. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

FWIW: 

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#10 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I hope it's something as simple as a faulty external! :-)

Thanks for the link to directions for the memtest86+. I have the .iso file burned to a CD. Before I start the test, I have questions on the directions:

By request: It is recommended that you run all of the tests in the sequence since they each do/test different things:

Is there going to be an option to automatically run all 9 tests in sequence, or do I run each one separately? Do I have to wait by the computer all night to select the next test?

After I've let it run overnight, will I see an option to save as an HTML report, and if so, where does that get saved?

How do I end the memtest when it's finished? Just eject the CD? Type "exit" or something? Do I restart the computer?

#11 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'll answer my own questions:

Put the memtest 86+ 5.01 CD in the DVD drive, restart the computer. Press "DEL" key until Bios comes up. F8 or click "boot menu", select the ....DVDRAM drive.

memtest 86+ 5.01 will boot up. There was an option to press something, but I did nothing and the test began on its own, and ran thru 8 of the 9(?) tests fairly quickly. I then turned off the monitor as it was taking longer to get thru step 8, and left memtest running all night.

I have one stick of memory, 4096 MB (4 GB) DDR3 in Slot 0. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

In the morning, the memtest screen said there were no errors after 12 passes; the screen said "Pass complete, no errors, press ESC to exit." After pressing the ESC key, the computer restarted Windows automatically. I removed the CD from the DVD drive.

I didn't see any option to save a report.

Hoping to get an answer to one last question:

1) When there are 2 sticks of ram in the computer, does the memtest automatically test both sticks, or do you have to select something to test one stick at a time?

#12 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

Google is great! Here's the answer:

You don't need to test each stick individually - it'll test all the RAM in your system by default. If you find errors, test each stick individually (remove all but one stick) to figure out which one is causing problems.

#13 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Just to update this thread, I've tried some things that may have solved the problem. It's been a week since I made the following 3 changes. The mouse no longer suddenly turns fuzzy, the computer has not frozen up, and the "sticky" clock problem is gone. *knock on wood* that this is fixed!

1) Changed the power management of the mouse: In Control Panel > Device Manager, expand "Mice and other pointing devices". Select the mouse (mine was Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical), then right-click and choose Properties. In the "Power Management" tab, deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Click OK.

2) Uninstalled AVG AntiVirus Free 2014 using AVG Remover. I had to run both the 2013 and 2014 removers. AVG files were still leftover, but I managed to get rid of those, also.

3) Installed Microsoft Security Essentials

#14 Reissverschluss

Reissverschluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

That happiness was short-lived. The fuzzy cursor came back, and the computer experiences freeze ups. Guess I'll try a clean reinstall of Windows.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

So the memory tests OK, the temperatures all look reasonable, but something about this suggests video card related to me (like distorted mouse pointers).  Also do you know what power supply it's using?  If you download MiniToolBox and run it, and tick List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors and paste the output here, this will hopefully help narrow down what is causing the computer to hang.

Edited by jonuk76, 21 January 2014 - 09:10 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users