Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it possible to drop from 64 bit to 32 bit?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 artash101

artash101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have a touchsmart 520 pc and i just installed windows 7 and i just checked my system properties and im 32 bit. but i know for a fact that my type of computer never had a 32 bit. also i went to the manufacturer website to install my drivers and no 32 bit popped up. so wtf do i do now? lol i cant even connect to the internet its a messed up situation. if anyone knows what to do so i can get my comp back to 64 bit that would be great. and if its not possible to take it back up to 64 bit, is there anyway i can possibly run on 32 bit, and whats the difference between the two.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmochnick

jmochnick

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

You will have to get a 64-bit Windows installer, whether that be from an image or a physical disc. I don't think its possible to simply go from 32-bit to 64-bit in a matter of flipping a switch or marking a check box.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

jmochnick has it right, yes you can go from 32-bit to 64-bit or vice versa, but it requires a complete reload.  You will need a 64-bit install disk, if you look at the disk it should tell you which version is on the disk.

Edited by RKilroy, 17 December 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well...what is the origin of the installation disk which you used?

HP reflects no 32-bit drivers for that system that I can see.

Louis

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

You can doa  repair install to go from 32 to 64 bit and not lsoe any personal documents, but rememebr that software would be your main issue. Anythign installed in 32 bit mode might have issues but see how you go mate. Its possible, just not recommended.

I would recommend using Sysinternals disk2vhd to create a image (Allows you to then use Winimage to view and copy files from a backup), store that on another HDD then do a reinstall usign a 64 bit image of windows 7/8.

#6 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

A random switch from 64 to 32 bit seems quite incredible.

Have you re-installed windows lately?

The difference between 32 and 64 bit isn't much if you are running less than 2 gb RAM (right number?). The OS is allowed to utilize more RAM than 32, and more efficiently.

Can you run 32 bit? Absolutely. Windows will probably cover all the drivers you need for general peripherals, but you may need to get the other drivers from the OEMs. However, like I said, you will not be able to utilize all of your RAM (I believe on your system you have 8 GB), so you would benefit most from 64. Simply find the install disc that came with your computer, plug it in, and reinstall. Remember you will lose all your data, so backup all you need.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

get your 64bit install disk here

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users