Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot repair system restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stv357

stv357

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

w7 ultimate system restore always fails to complete,it does have restore points it just wont complete

i have tried everything to fix it

i dont want to reinstall windows

any ideas

stv357 new member

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hi stv357,

w7 ultimate system restore always fails to complete,it does have restore points it just wont complete
i have tried everything to fix it
i dont want to reinstall windows
any ideas
stv357 new member

By "trying everything to fix it" can you expand on what you have done so far? This would be helpful in an attempt to isolate the issue.

Had the System been running normally prior to trying System Restore? Have you checked Event Viewer to see if any problems were noted at around the time you tried Restore?

You may have to do a Repair Install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html?ltr=R

#3 bad_dog

bad_dog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Have you tried system restore from safe mode? That always works for me. :smash:

#4 stv357

stv357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

of course i did , no go

also tried suggestions from other forums including microsoft, sfc scannow, chkdsk cannot repair it. i gaive up not going to reinstall windows

#5 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hello, was your anti virus disabled when you tried to use system restore? Try disabling it and see if it works for you. Also take a look to see if you volume shadow copy is enable

a. Click Start, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click Continue.

b. Double click Volume Shadow Copy Service and switch to General tab.

c. Change the Startup type to Automatic and click Apply.

d. Click Start and click OK.

See if any of that helps

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#6 stv357

stv357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

yes it was and i also tried shadow volume services NO GO

chkdsk did not repair the files and sfcscannow found nothing, i think system restore has corrupted files and i dont want to reinstall windows

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

install Linux then.

edit:or do a 'repair installation' from a repair disk...

edit edit: you may have made one earlier when your machine was functioning fine (that would have been a good idea), but if not you can find one easily enough online by searching " windows repair disk 32/64 bit ISO" Whichever it is you use that is.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 December 2013 - 04:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users