Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What upgrades can you recommend for my custom built system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tunnix

Tunnix

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hey guys,

I currently have the following in my tower:

Xenon AMD Piledriver FX-4 4300 3.80GHz DDR3 Bundle - Quad Core

And was wondering what cost effective upgrades you could recommend that would be suitable with the motherboard I have already (in the above bundle).

I've not really got much idea as to what is compatable with my motherboard type and what might not give maximum performance etc. I'm probably just looking to upgrade the CPU, RAM (if there is need to) and GFX card. (Again, no idea what is compatable and what would provide a cost effective significant performance boost. I'm currently using OcUK GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card and my power supply is currently Cooler Master GX 450W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply - Would I need to upgrade this?

I'm looking to pay around £100 per upgrade so ideally best value and performance for around that price.

Many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

What is your overall aim for the upgrade and what do you mainly use the computer for?  Where do you feel it's lacking? The motherboard will take most AMD AM3+ CPU's if the bios is upgraded to the latest version. See support list - http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4305

But, if say you use it mainly for games, I think you will probably get a bigger performance boost from upgrading the graphics card compared to upgrading to a 6 or 8 core AMD CPU.

You will struggle to find a card that outperforms the GTX460 a lot, for less than £100.  Probably the best bet at that price range is the HD 7850.  But a GTX 760 card is a significant upgrade over the GTX460.  Something like a Radeon R9 270X or HD 7870 is also a fair bit faster for a bit less money.

The memory is a relatively cheap upgrade, another matching 4Gb stick would be good.  That motherboard does not appear to support anything faster than 1333mhz memory, so no point spending lots on high end memory.

Higher power graphics cards generally recommend good quality 500w+ PSU's.  You might get away with it on a quality 450w PSU, but it tends to be better to stick to what the manufacturers recommend.  Partpicker is quite good as it estimates power requirements for you - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  Going from 4GB to 8GB will give you an upgrade you will notice and should be within your 100 pound limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users