Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build or Buy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

My friend talked to me yesterday and asked me what's the best thing to do in his situation. He wants to have a new gaming desktop. I told him to build one and he said he's too busy to build and besides he doesn't know much about specs and what should be looked at when buying computer parts. He directed me to a website that sells pre-built gaming rigs. He wants to buy this "Ultimate Gamers PC" as what they website called it. The specs are actually good for gaming the way I see it. I just want to ask some guys here if this is worth 2000 AUD? Or should I just help him build one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

You're right, that PC does look nice, but take a look at the price. :scratchhead:

I've always built my own PCs, and I've always been able to get a cheaper price than the pre-made ones. A lot of those things on that PC aren't necessary in my opinon. Based on the stats, it looks more like a movie-focus PC, and gaming second. From a movie-focus PC, the blue ray player, two hard drives, and the large amount of RAM makes sense (barely). From a gaming point of view, you don't need 32 gigs of RAM; you don't even need 16. 8 GBs is all you really need. If you want to feel safe, totally superior, and your friend has a wide budget, then go for 16. G.Skill is a great brand, and the one I'm currently using. They also have a lifetime warranty so if something goes wrong with one of the sticks you can return it and they'll ship you another one free of charge.

In terms of hard drive, start out with just 1 TB. You don't need that SSD, unless again, your friend has a big budget and wants all the latest tech. I'm running on just 1 TB which holds my OS plus 20+ games (I've filled up about half). I wouldn't worry about stocking up on more than one hard drive unless you start taking up space on the first one, which is hard to do with a terabyte. In the event your friend does run out of room on that hard drive, make sure he gets another terabyte hard drive, nothing below. Saves you a lot of headache if he runs out of room again, trust me. Or alternatively he can get a 2 TB hard drive and not worry about exceeding it which is extremely, extremely hard to do.

Not sure how the blue-ray drive works with games. This is a shot in the dark, but I'd think a blue-ray drive would only work with blue ray disks. Your friend would be safer getting a seperate CD drive in case DVD only disks don't work (I've run into that problem), and a DVD drive. They're both fairly inexpensive, you can find them cheap for $40. Speaking of which, you don't need something high tech for drives, Sony is the preferred brand I recommend.

After all that's been said, we need to know your friend's budget for it. If its 2000 AUD ($2299), he can definitley get more and better for his money than that pre-made one. Triple screen set up, perhaps? Duel GPUs? A fancy steering wheel for Need for Speed? :thumbup2:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

The price as listed is $2,299, I'm assuming AUD which works out to $2,585 or so USD.

However, I have a difference of opinion with ZeroPresence.  I've bought and built depending upon my needs at the time.  The machine is pretty similar to what I built about a year and a half ago, minus the tons of extra drives I have.  How often does your friend get a new machine?  If it is in the three to five year range this is a good buy.

The SSD is the boot drive and the 1TB drive is for storage.  There are only two times I can see the SSD difference, first boot and changing zones in World of WarCraft.  256GB should be enough for most people, depending on how often they change games to not have to worry about running out of space.

While I do agree that the 32GB of RAM is over kill, it is what I have and I have never come close to using it all, but it is there for future proofing the machine.  This goes back to the how often does your friend replace his machine.  If this is a yearly purchase, this is a waste.  In the three to five year range this isn't so bad.  I wouldn't go down to 8GB.  8GB is fine for work, but not for play.  I'd say 16GB is the minimum that I'd recommend for a gamer.

As ZeroPresence pointed out games these days don't need optical drives, but it does come in handy if you want to put your DVDs and Blurays on your machine, part of what my machine is used for.  The drive will handle CDs, DVDs, and Blurays.  You don't need a second drive.

So, if your friend only buys a new machine every three to five years and doesn't want the hassle of buying and building this is a good deal.  If he buys more frequently he might want to step down a model and save some money.  Could he do better if he builds, yes, but this is a lot of power for the money and in the range one would expect to pay for a manufactured machine.  I priced the parts at New Egg and the price for the parts is about $1775 so he could save about $800, minus shipping and taxes.

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

I think there is a solution to be had! ZeroPresence stated he probably does not need 32 GB of RAM or a 4GB video card. This seems like a machine built for rendering/video editing. Also, the $800 RKilroy estimated is a hefty sum, an amount he could use to possibly SLI with another 760 and an extra monitor.

aQuilla, can you build PC's? If you can, just hash out a deal with him. You can make 50-100 bucks depending on how good friends you are. This allows him to get a better computer at a lower price, while also helping out a friend. As for yourself, well, you get paid! Build him a better gaming computer than the specs you listed, and since he wants to game, throw in a couple humble bundles for him too. He can't resist.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#5 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

aQuilla, can you build PC's? If you can, just hash out a deal with him. You can make 50-100 bucks depending on how good friends you are. This allows him to get a better computer at a lower price, while also helping out a friend. As for yourself, well, you get paid! Build him a better gaming computer than the specs you listed, and since he wants to game, throw in a couple humble bundles for him too. He can't resist.

I recently purchased a EVGA Geforce GTX 780 on Newegg, and it came with Batman: Arkham Origins, Assassins Creed IV, and a Splinter Cell game free, so deals like that can also make custom building a lot more worth while. The only real drawbacks you can get from custom building is the time it takes to build it (average for me is 2-3 hours which goes by fast) and if you run into a slight problem when you don't read directions (the problem I face now which brought me to these fourms to begin with  :bananas: )

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

G'Day mate, Landmark computers are just a tad expensive, i'd get a pre-built desktop from PCCaseGear as the craftmanship is top notch.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411&products_id=25711
The system above has a much better value as it includes the fastest single graphics card and a larger hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 aQuilla

aQuilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

G'Day mate, Landmark computers are just a tad expensive, i'd get a pre-built desktop from PCCaseGear as the craftmanship is top notch.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411&products_id=25711
The system above has a much better value as it includes the fastest single graphics card and a larger hard drive.

This! We got a pretty good deal at PCCG with the same system specs! :D

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Good to hear and im surprised PCCG has already changed that system in the link i provided as the link itself is dead.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users