Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Idle interest

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

I was browsing BC and happened onto Groovicus. I looked at his page, and was astonished to find that he has no firewall or antimalware. How does he avoid infection? Perhaps he could tell us. I hope that this is OK to mention.

Edited by georgehenry, 17 December 2013 - 06:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

I was browsing BC and happened onto Groovicus. I looked at his page, and was astonished to find that he has no firewall or antimalware. How does he avoid infection? Perhaps he could tell us. I hope that this is OK to mention.

A rather stunning observation and somewhat puzzling, when a distinguished GM on a primary computer help Forum such as BC does not even bother to have a FW or AV protection. Controversial subjects which take up a massive proportion of Forum time and a vital corner stone of all computer security.

The rationale behind this apparent contradiction of security logic is eagerly awaited.

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

Now that is interesting...but perhaps the reason behind it not being listed is because he does use Win7, which has a respectable firewall and I do believe that Win7 has Windows Defender (but please don't hold me to that one). But we shall see...maybe...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

I guess Groovicus may reply in due course, but as a basic security principle he might not wish to divulge what security measures he has in place - or he might be running a honeypot... :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:04 AM

You do not have to fill that information in, and hence many will not. I would guess that the case rather than he does not run antivirus software. Or he could be running another non-Windows OS which the need for such software is not a requirement as such. Just my guesses of course.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

You do not have to fill that information in, and hence many will not.
xXToffeeXx~

True, but if for some reason you are so bashful about revealing your security set-up, then leave the fields blank To put a specific "None" when you are an appointed and predominant BC Moderator, responsible for advising members on security matters and correcting infections etc., seems to challenge the fundamental Internet operating principles of having an AV and FW at all.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Listing a personal preference, contrary to recommending this measure for others, is a right every member, from normal member to Admin, has. 

Each member adds to their profile information they choose to share. "None" could be a deliberate choice, it does not mean they make a statement "an AV is useless", that is a conclusion you may or may not draw. Quite aside, there is absolutely no way to know if the profile information is actually up to date.

when you are an appointed and predominant BC Moderator, responsible for advising members on security matters and correcting infections etc., 

A Moderator role has nothing to do with security advice/malware removal. :) See here for a description of all staff groups.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Listing a personal preference, contrary to recommending this measure for others, is a right every member, from normal member to Admin, has. 

Each member adds to their profile information they choose to share. "None" could be a deliberate choice, it does not mean they make a statement "an AV is useless", that is a conclusion you may or may not draw. Quite aside, there is absolutely no way to know if the profile information is actually up to date.

Copy 'n' Pasted from my profile.
  • How did you hear about us?
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me to do. They told me that I might find the answers to all of life's mysteries in this website.
  • Operating System
    Does that mean I won't need a surgeon in the future?
  • Antivirus Software
    Lots of orange juice
  • Firewall
    Why? I've outgrown playing with matches.
  • Computer
    Yes, it is.
  • CPU
    No, I do my own taxes.
  • Motherboard
    You mean I have things procreating inside my computer?
  • Ram
    No, I'm a Gemini.
  • Storage
    In my basement.
  • Video Card
    Is that like a calling card?
  • Soundcard
    Can't hear a thing. It's not making any noise.
  • Power Supply
    It's not a hamster on a wheel. I hope. Haven't fed him since I got this contraption.
  • Case
    Columbo is working on it.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

:grinner: Thats one way to interpret it as well. 

BTW, check if you don't have a wood burning CPU if its not a hamster in a wheel.... :P

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users