Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling autorun

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YesImOtto

YesImOtto

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

I have been trying to do this, because I know it is quite a good decision to make in terms of security. Many sites say to go to start and type gpedit.msc. However, on my laptop I cannot seem to find that gpedit.msc. Is there any other way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

What operating system are you using?

Depending on the version of Windows that you are using, there are different updates that you must have installed to correctly disable the Autorun functionality:

To disable the Autorun functionality in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008, you must have security update 950582 installed (security bulletin MS08-038).
To disable the Autorun functionality in Windows XP, in Windows Server 2003, or in Windows 2000, you must have security update 950582, update 967715, or update 953252 installed...

After the prerequisite updates are installed, you can use the procedures in any of the following sections to disable Autorun features:
How to use Group Policy settings to disable all Autorun features
How to selectively disable specific Autorun features
How to set the HonorAutorunSetting registry key manually

How to disable the Autorun functionality in Windows

If using Windows 7, be aware that:

In order to help prevent malware from spreading (such as Conficker) using the AutoRun mechanism, the Windows 7 engineering team made two important changes to the product:

1. AutoPlay will no longer support the AutoRun functionality for non-optical removable media. In other words, AutoPlay will still work for CD/DVDs but it will no longer work for USB drives.

2. A dialog change was done to clarify that the program being executed is running from external media.

AutoRun changes in Windows 7
Windows 7: Improvements to AutoPlay

How to Disable Auto Play in Windows 7
How to Enable or Disable Autorun for Removable Media in Windows 7
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thank you quietman7

I am pretty sure I am using windows 7, yet I still have autoplay pop up whenever I use my USB.

Those two links

AutoRun changes in Windows 7
Windows 7: Improvements to AutoPlay

Did not work unfortunately :(

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Those links are working for me...try copy and pasting the url into the address block:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2009/04/28/autorun-changes-in-windows-7.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/04/27/improvements-to-autoplay.aspx

#5 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Quietman7, since I use Windows 7, and it says that the autorun feature is already disabled for this OS, then is it ok to assume that I am safe? I still have autoPLAY, like it says on the link, but not autorun.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

AutoPlay is the feature (functionality) built into Windows that detects and examines the content (Pictures, Music, Video files) on the CD-ROM, or other removable media and then launches an appropriate application to play or display the content. Each media type can have a set of handlers registered with AutoPlay which can deal with playing or displaying that type of media. AutoPlay can also give the user options based on the media type of files found. As a part of its functionality, Autoplay makes use of AutoRun but instead of automatically looking for autorun.inf, it considers the event in conjunction with the various programs registered on the computer. When you try to play a CD or another media type that uses autorun, AutoPlay asks you to choose to play the autorun content or to skip it.

Autorun is the feature (functionality) built into Windows that enables a CD-ROM drive or a fixed drive to specify a program to be started immediately upon the connection of the drive. Autorun will automatically run a program specified by the file autorun.inf whenever a CD-ROM or DVD is plugged into a Windows-based computer. Autorun is intended as a convenience to automatically start an installer when removable media is inserted into the computer. Essentially it is a loading point that tells the operating system which executable to start, which icon to use, and which additional menu commands to make available. When a computer detects a removable device, it searches for the autorun.inf file for further instructions and writes the values in the MountPoint2 registry key. This registry key holds cached information on every device ever connected to the computer. For flash drives and other USB storage, autorun.ini uses the Windows Explorer's right-click context menu so that the standard "Open" or "Explore" command starts the file. The autorun.ini file can be used for both legitimate or malicious purposes. Since autorun.ini can be a legitimate file which other legitimate programs depend on, the presence of that file may not always be an indication of infection. Disabling the autorun feature helps to protect a computer by not allowing autorun.inf to provide any malicious commands. That is why Microsoft recommends users disable Autorun as a method of protection against malware infection and no longer supports the AutoRun functionality for non-optical removable media in Windows 7 and above.

#7 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Ah, I guess the one that is still popping up is the autoplay, which is safe, not the autorun then. Since I use windows 7

Thanks quietman

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

You're welcome.