Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to know if an exe file is a virus or not?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RedRay

RedRay

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:40 AM

I tried to install something that I don't completely trust(if you must know its Minecraft Force Op).  When i tried to launch it, it said "Not a valid win32 application".  After a bit of research, I know that if that messages pops up then its either a virus or a corrupt file.  Some trusted files say the same thing and I don't know if its infected or not.  Is there a place where I can give the file to see a report about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

You can upload it to either http://virusscan.jotti.org/en or https://www.virustotal.com/ or both if you wish.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

Are you running a 64-bit OS or 32-bit?

"Not a valid Win32 application" is a common error message received when attempting to run or install a 64-bit application on a 32-bit operating system.

Although this error message can also be indicative of malware infection (i.e. W32.Beagle/W32.Bagle worm, W32.Sonic.Worm, etc.) in many cases it is do to downloading and attempting to use a 64-bit installer on a 32-bit machine.

If the above is not the case, then submitting the file for analysis as Animal suggests is the way to proceed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

The most likely explanation is a corrupt download. If the file were malware, it would probably install and run just fine. Another possible source for the error could be that the program requires elevated permission (Run As Administrator) to execute.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Any if it were malware, there would also be indications (signs of infection) something is wrong.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users