Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Sheriff Caused My Computer To Crash.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cthomason36

cthomason36

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:46 PM

My girlfriend was surfing the web and somehow downloaded some spyware called Spyware Sheriff. I'm sure most everyone is familiar with Spyware Sheriff. I've noticed quite a few posts on this site with tips on how to remove it.
I found a guide on how to remove it. The guide is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=0&#entry130094

I downloaded the software that the guide suggested and I went to restart my computer in safe mode so I could run the software. When my computer restarted it would not load windows. It loads the Windows title screen and after that it just loads a blank screen. It does this every time. I can press F8 when it boots. From there I can select to start in safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, debugging mode, etc. No matter what I select from this screen windows will not load. The computer freezes up and stops responding before it gets to the desktop.

I do not have the system restore or windows discs for this computer. Is there anything I can try to fix this without having to reformat? I also have a bunch of files and software on the computer that I just can't afford to lose.

What can I do? Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated. The specs for my computer are as follows:

HP a250n running Windows XP Pro
2.6 p4 processor
512 mb ram

Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try running the software in real mode then and see if you can make any progress.

I also have a bunch of files and software on the computer that I just can't afford to lose.

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 06 May 2006 - 08:26 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users