Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot after overheating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Endability

Endability

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

So I was playing far cry 3 and everything was working fine until I started to smell something, it smelled like thermal paste and all of a sudden my computer overheated. This happened before and I fixed it by getting some compressed air and dusted my computer and the Cpu cooler fins. So I did that and tried booting it but nothing. The leds on the fans light up all the fans are going but no beeps and nothing shows on the monitor. I even tried taking out all but one stick of ram and clearing the cmos, still nothing so I took off the Cpu cooler removed the thermal compound and added more, still nothing idk what's going on my computer was working fine for 2+ years. I must say I'm pissed the bleep off right now and idk what's wrong with my computer. My specs are

Xfx 750a sli mobo
6gb ddr2 ram
Amd phenom ii x4 970 3.5 ghz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Please help I just threw my mouse across the room.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Endability

Endability
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

EDIT: I have a TX 750w power supply

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

sounds like you fried the CPU, there should have been an automatic thermal shutoff to prevent damage, but those are always a 50/50 whether they prevent damage entirely...

It appears that you will need to buy a new CPU for your system.

My other thought is that you may have burnt/melted a trace (hence the smokey smell), that is technically fixable but you need someone with know-how and the materials to do it.

You can try pulling the CPU out of the socket and reseating, but I doubt it will fix it.

If that doesnt work I am sorry for your loss.

#4 Endability

Endability
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

And I don't have enough money to buy a new one, great...

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Do you get the bios screen up? take everythign out including the CPU and see if the bios starts beeping (6 times for cooked CPU). See how that goes, even take the RAM out.

#6 Endability

Endability
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

It turns out my motherboard was fried, i had to basically buy a whole new computer and i am now using water cooling. Thanks for the reply's. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users