Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build/New Tower, but Nothing Starting Up

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Hi all,

First post here, and hopefully one of many in the coming future. :hello:

Recently I bought a new GPU (GTX 780), more RAM (2 G.Skill 2GB ea), and a new tower (Zalman Z11 Mid-tower )

So before I start, I just want to mention that one of the RAM sticks I had previously was corrupt, so instead of installing that in the new system, I left it out since I was planning on returning it. So I'd have 6GB installed, as opposed to the 8. Also, both sets have the same serial numbers, except the last two letters after "4GB". Also, the new ones I bought were red, while my previous ones are blue. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the PC not starting up but I just figured I'd include it in here.

So this tower has a lot more fans than my previous one. I really like it, however there are some issues I came across when putting it together. The main one really is the front part. It was required to remove it in order to reach to install the CD/DVD drives. Which isn't a problem, but one of the hooks that you grip onto to remove, broke off. It doesn't inhibit anything, it was really just there for decoration honestly. But, when I attempted to put the cover back on, I wasn't able to fully. There are small holes on the tower itself where you attach the cover to (there are 3 sets of them). So I tried putting them all in, but I was only able to click the bottom and middle one, the top wasn't going in fully. Even when I try putting in top first, it doesn't go in. There are two small cables that you must connect from the main tower to the front cover, because of the lights and more importantly, the On/Off switch, which I was able to do without a problem.

So when I plug in everything, turn the PSU switch on, I try clicking on the tower button, and of course, nothing turns on. However, my room light flickers, and I hear a faint click, but really isn't much of a click. When I try turning it on again, I don't hear/see what I did before, unless I turn everything off and try it again. (kinda spooky especially when the phone rings as you try turning it on the first time)

So my thinking is it's obviously something to do with the PSU. Although it's fairly new, and is a 750w. And I checked multiple times with the cables, and everything is plugged in. I did a few times swap out some PSU cables I had to use for my old GPU, and replaced them with other cables that were needed for my new GPU. (these cables came with the PSU itself). I also had to use more cables that were included with the PSU to install all the additional fans.

Perhaps 750w isn't enough? Anything you can think of would be so helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Are the RAM, GPU, and PSU the only new components to the build?

Edit: How rude of me.

Welcome to BleepingComputer!

Edited by Felipe2237, 17 December 2013 - 01:53 AM.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hey Felipe thanks for the reply/welcome!

The new components are actually just the RAM, GPU, and tower. The PSU is only two years old so that's why I called it new

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

In all likelihood it's the RAM. Pop those suckers out and see what happens. Off I go till the morning!  :cherry:

Unofficial iOS Genius

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

As long as you have a quality power supply, 750w is plenty of power. 

It sounds like you have a short, and the PSU is protecting itself/your system. Try bench testing the machine, and see if it works, then slowly re-build it back in the case.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#6 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

I swapped out the new ones (red) and tried booting with just the previous sticks (blue). Still, it didn't boot. I tried just one blue stick, it didn't work. I tried just red, and it still didn't boot.

Hey Waldojim, thanks for the reply. What do you mean by bench testing? I'm unfamiliar with most computer tests so do forgive me :D

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

This is a site that might interest you, ZeroPresence, Hope it helps! http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/how-to-bench-test-troubleshoot-your-system-171424.html

And I hope I did the link right...And Welcome to Bleeping Computers!

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Put it together one by one. Pull the gpu.

Edited by Roodo, 17 December 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Since you moved the motherboard to a different case waldojim42 is probably on the right track with a short, from your description of the problem.  Check the motherboard standoffs and make sure you didn't put in an extra or have one unaccounted for. 

#10 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll check into this. I think it might just be something extra/unaccounted for. And if I don't seem to find it I'll try benchmarking and rebuilding from scratch. So its safe to say we can rule out it being the RAM? I'm not so sure about my GPU though. I don't know, I'll see.

In the meantime I need to buy myself some compressed air to clean out my CPU fan.

Rkilroy, by standoffs, you mean the screws you position the motherboard in, right? I screwed in most of them where there were enough holes that matched both the motherboard and tower. I think there might have been a few that didn't match up. Could that have something to do with my issues?

Edited by ZeroPresence, 17 December 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#11 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

If you have standoffs in the case that don't have a corresponding hole in the motherboard, then most likely that is the short we are looking for.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#12 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hmm that's very interesting. I didn't think they mattered, so long as the motherboard wasn't dangling out. I noticed one by the PSU thats not screwed in. I might have to take the GPU out to see if there are any others missing.

#13 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Really what you need to do, is take the motherboard out, and make sure there are no posts there that should not be in place.

#14 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

The reason is because a standoff touching the bare motherboard instead of the designated nonconductive area, electricity will flow from the case into the standoff, then through the motherboard. As you can imagine that can be a problem.

As for your RAM, if you plugged your old ones back in and nothing happened, it's probably not the RAM.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Yes, the stand offs are the things you screw into the case and are used to secure the mother board.  You only install the ones that you are actually using, so if you have 12 holes in the board you install 12 stand offs.  If your case doesn't have a stand off mounting hole for all of the holes in the board, not a major deal.  Installing more can result in a short which will cause issues like you are experiencing.

Normally I'll put in the stand offs, put the mother board on top and make sure they are all in the right place, then I secure it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users