Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed startup / reformat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 For_Muck_Sake

For_Muck_Sake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

I had some issues with my computer today so i did a system restore only it got stuck on shutting down for a good hour so i had to shut down manually, when it restarted it stalled on windows starting screen and i could not get past it. I've tried to use a usb with a copy of windows on it to reformat but yet again it loads the windows files then gets stuck on the windows starting screen. The usb is working as i formatted a friends computer with it last week.

When i disconnect the hdd and restart it loads the windows files from the usb and brings me to the setup page however when i reconnect the hdd while in setup it shows no hdd available to format and install on.

I beleive my issue is all down to the failed system restore creating a restore point however i have no clue how to fix it, ive also tried windows recovery with the same issue, any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 For_Muck_Sake

For_Muck_Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

I solved it myself by using linux (ubuntu) bootable usb. I didn't even have to install it, you can access the os straight from the usb. I went in and saved all my files and reformated the hdd since i couldnt access it at all with windows. Then i just used the pen drive with windows on it to reinstall, hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for posting your self-resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users