Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router suggestions request

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Doopy

Doopy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

I live in a very rural part of the country and have had to live (if that's what you call it) with dial-up internet connections for a long time.  We finally a TV/DSL/wireless phone service provider last spring.  Yesterday they installed the required underground service to our house.  I'm using the ethernet hardwire as I type this post but I want to purchase a good wireless router for mobility around the house.

Can you guys reccomend what to look for when I go shopping next month.  Since my new internet speed is astounding I don't want to slow things down with an inferior router.  What things are important and what things are not so important?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

I trust Maximum PC's Best of the Best when searching for gear that I'm not right on top of.  They recommend the Asus RT-N66U currently for the best router.

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

I trust Maximum PC's Best of the Best when searching for gear that I'm not right on top of.  They recommend the Asus RT-N66U currently for the best router.

While that is a phenomenal router, that's a bit overkill... and expensive (110+)... especially for DSL

Personally I would just grab something like the Netgear N600 (around 70 but can be found cheaper online), very reliable, dual band wireless N (not that you will need dual band)

To be perfectly honest, unless you are planning to have upwards of 20 devices connected, and are planning to be running all sorts of games/streaming movies/transferring files via the network, you can get a Linksys E1200 (35-40 bucks or so) wireless N router, or a Netgear N300 wireless N (40-50 bucks) and still not see any issues, all of these routers are capable of 300+ mb/s speeds, when honestly the most you can achieve out of your internet connection is going to be 30 at absolute max, even fiber optic peaks out at 100mb/s until you go to business class speeds.

Don't waste too much time/money on a router right now, save on a router (that will still be overkill) and put that money away towards a better computer, or a game or something, my buddy has 100mb/s internet service, and has almost 30 devices connected to his wifi/plugged into the router, and still only has a $75 router from 2 years ago, and he never has issues.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Part of the recommendation for the Asus router is the speed vs distance tests Maximum PC puts the router through.  If you look at the charts at the bottom of the link you'll see the speeds vs distance, this is normally important to people who are going to be actually using the wireless  To me it isn't so important as I use my machine wired, but it does matter my wife when she's on her laptop on the other end of the house.

I'm not saying that a cheaper router won't work, this is a router that has been tested and documented.

That said I also have a ZyXEL NBG418N Wireless N Home Router that I picked up to use as a Wireless Access Point.  I got it on sale for $20.

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

A fair point, but as far as I have experienced, I had an E1200 for over a year (still in use at my parents house actually) and it covered from one side of the house to the other, more than 50 feet in one direction with decent speed at that range, maybe not the full capability, but still quite a distance.

Also the N300 and N600 were both rated on the box with a 300 foot range, and reviews place it at great range/performance.

Im not arguing that the one suggested isn't a good router, I agree that it is, I just always try to find the best price to performace ratio, Im a penny pincher and dont like spending more than I have to. In fact I have had dual band routers for over 2 years now, and just in the last few months have I actually had use of the 5G band (phone/ipad/laptop) I definitely paid more for the dual band capabilities, but until now it was money wasted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users