Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Home Premium (Memory Upgrade Problem)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Firerock

Firerock

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

I am trying to upgrade from 2GB to 4BG at 1GB sticks. I recently got 2 Transcend 1gb sticks #TS128MLQ64V6J   (2 x 1GB = 2GB) 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC-5300 RAM memory module for desktop PC

240-pin DIMM, unbuffered Non-ECC memory.

and they don't work, the 2 in my cpu now that work are Hynix 1GB 2rx8 pc2-5300u-555-12. I am trying to figure out why they don't work?

Regards     :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Looks to me as if those modules should work.  Remove the old modules, replace them with the new in the same slots.

Does system boot?

Louis

#3 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

You were correct, the 2 sets of slots one set blue one set black, the blue set the current ram was taken out. All slots cleared. The new ram Transcend 1GB stick was instaled in the blue slot. It booted up right away, took it out and put the other Transcend 1GB stick in same slot blue, and all i got was a black screen no boot. Put 3 sticks back in Hynix and Transcend all booted up to 3GB, put the 4th 1gb stick witch was the one that didn't boot up and all, put it in the black slot, all  i got was the blue screen that i usualy see at start up. It never moved beyond that screen after 10 minnites. My conclustion is one Transcend 1GB stick is bad. What do you think?

Regards     :woot:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Sounds like an RMA (return merchandise authorization) is in order :).

If you want, you can test that one moduel, using Memtest86+, just to be sure.  Leave all other RAM modules out.

so

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downi

Louis

#5 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

Can i use this for Vista : Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

Regards

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'm not following...what are you asking?  I thought that you were going to test your RAM modules, last time I posted.

Louis

#7 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

I will test asap. Three types of memtest86. and different versions. Floppy, cd, and usb. i see nothing at memtest for vista. I don't have a floopy disk installed. The link is for the usb. My burning software is Roxio Creator basic v9. since i don't have a cd blank on hand i thoulght the usb might be the the way to go.

Regards   :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users