Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp simple file sharing security

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amos69

amos69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hello guys I have question concerning file sharing security I am a novice user but this is my question I share an internet connection with my neighbor they have the modem and phone line I have an ethernet switcher and wireless router it was all configured by the way when I moved in. I use two desktop computers at home one in my living room and one in the bedroom both have the ethernet cord running to them from the router or switcher not sure router I believe but I watch tv online in my bedroom but I download all my shows out in the living room comp and have been copying them to a usb and then go watch them in my room isnt there a way I can watch what I downloaded to livroom comp in my bedroom I have researched the file share in xp I named my comp in livroom pc1 and bedroom pc2 both named workgroup so when I click my networkplaces I see those sorry so long but here is my question and I did read alot on this and am just more confused maybe someone has a real simple solution for me in the sharing security tab I put everyone in the groups catogory in the comp managment can my neighbors click on there mynetworkplaces and see my pc1 pc2 folders there and can they just open them and have complete access to them? I cant seem to use a password with this fileshare thing what is the easiest way for me to secure my files so just I see them or have access to them I am admin on both comp and I want to be able to delete or do whatever to them from either comp what i read seemed so hard to understand setting permission s read,write,only etc full access modify I tried to monkey around with that without the simple file share on and then I couldnt access any of them so I went back to simple file share permission everyone any ideas how to make this simple yet secure I just want to watch tv and have acces to either comp without no worries that the whole neighborhood is in my computer thanks sorry the explanation was so long but want to get the right help and give you all the details thanks oops I think I posted this in the wrong spot sorry I will let moderater move dont know how

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2013 - 10:00 AM.
Clarity on question - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

You have your own router...which is the first line of protecting your files.  What happens prior to that is pretty much unimportant as far as connectivity security, IMO.

As long as your router is not set to allow a network between your systems and any others...you have nothing to worry about.

Between your router and your firewall...the first line of system defense is set up.

Since networking is a 2-way proposition...in order for someone to have access to your system, that access would have to be granted by virtue of networking, where your workgroup would reflect any additional systems with access.

If you were all using the same router...there would be a potential for access to your files by other systems...simply by joining the workgroup established.  Without joining the workgroup, they would be denied even that potentiality.

That's my understanding, based on how I have fared with networking my 3 systems :).

Louis

#3 amos69

amos69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:08 AM

thank you for your post I dont think I did mention that they connect wirelessly from my wireless router they have the DSL modem in there house there daughter uses her lap top wirelessly and the mom uses the modem on her desktop I have seen her pc name come up sometimes when I click my networkplaces but when I click on it it says access denied or permission denied is there a easy step by step tutorial to secure my two pc's I have it set to everyone in the settings option and full controll just worried if her pc name was workgroup like mine if she would then see my to pc's and then be able to just click them open with the security settings I have set thank you. (also hers comes up mshome mine i named workgroup)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

I cannot speak of wireless security, I don't use wireless network capability.

Standby for opinions from those who do.

Louis

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

What is Wi-Fi
How WiFi Works
Wireless security

Using Using wireless (WiFi) can be hazardous to your computer.
WiFi Hotspot Security: The Issues
Windows WiFi vulnerability
WiFi Networks Still Security Risk
If I let my neighbor share my WiFi, can they see my network traffic?

Best Practices for Protecting your home network:
* Protecting the Whole Home Network and Everything Connected to It
* How to Secure Your Wireless Home Network
* Securing Your Home Network
* Protecting Your Wireless Network
* WiFi Security Tips
* What You Need To Know To Secure Your Wireless Network
* 10 Tips for Wireless Home Network Security

Free Web Anonymizer services
How Anonymizers Work
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

amos69,  any files and folders that you haven't explicitly chosen to share won't be accessible over the network. That's true for both wired and wireless networking. Welcome to the forum, and Merry Christmas!

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users