Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb 2.0 ports stopped working on laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

So my usb 2.0 ports on my hp laptop stopped working a few months ago. Anything plugged into either port will not function but yet will receive wattage from the laptop. In device manager, everything shows working properly, even after disabling and enabling the drivers and also uninstalling those same drivers and restarting the system to let them reinstall. So right now I am just using the 1.1 ports on the right side since they are still working. Any help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Have you tried going to HP and installing the latest drivers?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

If reinstalling drivers from HP's site as RKilroy suggested still does not work. Download USBDeview v2.27, run it in an admin account and delete all Vendor Specific devices.

Sometimes these conflict and cause a problem.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Download 32bit or 64bit depending on your system.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

you could try and refresh the hub

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have seen this happen and the funny thign was this fix, simple plug somethign in and then right click and use the "Safley remove hardware" bang it starts working again. it may not work for you but has worked for em before as there must have been an issue in release the hardware but doing it manualyl again worked (If that makes sense).

If that dont work then goto Start/run and type in (sc stop "PlugPlay" && sc start "PlugPlay") this will make sure the service is running.

#6 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:33 AM

hi all. been busy so i haven't been able to check on this post. so i have dl'ed usbdeview and john, you mentioned deleting all vendor specific devices. would those be all plug and play devices? i feel like this would be useless since what's happening is that nothing is being recognized when plugged into either of those two ports as in there isn't even a prompt in the taskbar.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Plugging in multiple devices in multiple USB ports can cause a conflict making any device unrecognizable when pluged in. Purging the drivers sometimes works. But do not delete the USB mass storage device or bluetooth device if you have one, only the devices that are marked as Vendor Specific under Device Type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users