Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connect a tablet to the internet without a wifi network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MoriGirl

MoriGirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

I am hoping to buy my Mum a tablet for Christmas (her first ever computer), however, we live in an old house with thick walls which makes a wireless connection hard. Consequently we are stuck using Ethernet connections via a Netgear network, which sends the internet connection through our mains electric wiring. However, as tablets are not known for their Ethernet connectivity such means will obviously not be possible in this case.

I thought I heard a while ago that there was some kind of adaptor that could be used to set up a localised wifi hub in a room, but I’m not sure if this is true, or if such a thing exists, what it might be called?

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much :).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

If you are using a Powerline system for your network, then you could use a Powerline to WiFi access point device.  Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XWNB5201-Powerline-500Mbps-Access/dp/B009WG6K66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387234836&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+wifi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users