Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laserjet P4515 Continuously Jams

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amna Umen

Amna Umen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Afternoon,

I work at a small wholesale company that is quickly growing beyond it's means. We have a few stations set up around the warehouse for the office workers to work and each station has their own printer. The one that is "outside" in the warehouse is an HP LaserJet P4515X that receives the bulk of the work load of the company printing over 5k pages a week. I recently replaced the maintenance kit on 8 November 2013 and it has run smoothly until last week when it would print a few pages then continually jam up. I have always been the Michael Bolton from Office Space when it comes to printers as I've never had good luck with them so I am at a loss as to what is causing the chronic jamming. The only reason I mention that the printer is "outside" is because it is susceptible to cooler temperatures (~45 degrees) and a lot of dust. I cleaned all of the parts while replacing the maintenance kit but I never had this problem before. So I ask you good Bleepers, HELP!

Any ideas as to what it is will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

-AU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

You didn't memtion which tray this is pulling from.  A removal of all paper trays and a detailed check out of the pickup wheels and the entire paper path, especially any turn arounds.  Look closely where the first page gerts stuck, try to catch it after only one page.  Many paper rollers will breakdown from age and heat.  Some rollers have a flat spot on them and that can get worn and not pick up a sheet evenly, feeding it sideways.  Beware the slick operator who feeds a sheet of labels through.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

From this PDF you are at, if not over, the recommended monthly print volume of 5,000 to 20,000 pages.

That said, the maintenance kit should last longer than a month.  The solution is going to depend on where the paper is jamming.  You might want to consider having a professional take a look at it.

#4 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

You didn't memtion which tray this is pulling from.  A removal of all paper trays and a detailed check out of the pickup wheels and the entire paper path, especially any turn arounds.  Look closely where the first page gerts stuck, try to catch it after only one page.  Many paper rollers will breakdown from age and heat.  Some rollers have a flat spot on them and that can get worn and not pick up a sheet evenly, feeding it sideways.  Beware the slick operator who feeds a sheet of labels through.

It is pulling from Tray 2 and 3. It does not jam when paper is being fed through the MP tray but that is not the viable solution. And yes like you mentioned the main function of this printer is to print shipping labels so possibly one gets jammed sticker side gets stuck inside and whammo chronic problem?

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Running label stock through laser type machines is asking for trouble.  The heat from the fuzer assembly will cause some edges to peel up and stick everywhere.  Care should be taken to insure the freshness of the stock as the problem becomes more pronounced with old stock material.  Those turn around areas are critical.

#6 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Running label stock through laser type machines is asking for trouble.  The heat from the fuzer assembly will cause some edges to peel up and stick everywhere.  Care should be taken to insure the freshness of the stock as the problem becomes more pronounced with old stock material.  Those turn around areas are critical.

This makes a lot of sense but when I questioned the worker out there he says the labels came out still attached to the paper so I don't think that is it, although the machine does get overheated especially on Mondays when we usually have 1.5K+ orders to push. Is there anything I should be looking for to indicate label residue on the rollers/fuser?

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

You could try cleaning the rollers, I recommend plain old water. If they are difficult to remove then wipe them with a damp but not dripping lint free cloth while they are still installed.(you may want to power off the printer first)  I use paper towels as I don't usually have lint free cloths. If the rollers are easy to remove then I wash them with running water and maybe a small amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid. (And dry very well before reinstalling) Don't use alcohol on rubber or any sort of cleaner, water works fine. ( I learned this from Kyocera tech support as this was their recommendation)

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

The service field is filled with kits from the mfgrs. HP, Compaq, Kyocera, Ricoh, etc make kits that use inserted platforms with solvent pads to fit in each paper tray.  Many rollers and pickup tabs are where they are very difficult to clean, thus the accessories.  Turnaround points are very important.  The fuzer is another area that gets excessive heat and this will cause the Teflon coating to peel off, jamming paper in the transfer wire area.

#9 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

No major retailers sell these kits do they? Because I'd like to give the in-house repair a try first before calling an expensive technician.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

Those kits are usually available from the mfgr as part of a service kit.  Some mfgr may restrict their kit availablity to their own techs.  Try the HP service center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users