Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emachines Won't Start Up Right

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 P387

P387

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

I have an E Machines Desktop and it won't start up right. When I plug the power cord up the fans come on inside and the light on the CD drive flashes and the thinking light and thats it. The light around the power button doesn't come on like it should either. Thats all it does, the monitor won't come on and it doesn't respond to anything. I can't turn the fans off by the power switch or turn the computer completely on. The only way I can get the fans to go off is by unplugging the computer. Thanks for all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 P387

P387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

from the replys i've gotten other places they said the motherboard is cooked. I hope thats not true.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

It's hard to say without physical diagnosis. Could just be the power supply, but power supplies often take something else with them when they fry. eMachines have never been known for their great power supplies.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:59 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue (sorry to say). I'm afraid that I have to agree with the assessment. If you are the least bit technically inclined, pull your motherboard out (leave in the cpu and memory) and take it to your local computer repair shop. Don't go to Best Buy, or something like that...find a small shop, and ask them if they will test the motherboard for you. I have never been charged for this, and it takes them about 5 minutes to hook it up on a test bench. (Take your power supply too... have them check that if the motherboard is ok) If the motherboard is bad, don't let them sell you a motherboard just yet. See what they have to offer first. Since you have an Emachine, you don't have an Windows on a disk, you only have recovery disks. So you will have to purchase a copy of Windows...

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here. First things first. :thumbsup:

#5 P387

P387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

It's hard to say without physical diagnosis. Could just be the power supply, but power supplies often take something else with them when they fry. eMachines have never been known for their great power supplies.

Ok thanks. First I'll try a Power Supply cuz I've got one of them laying around the house. Thanks for all your help. I just need some stuff thats still on that puter and I've been pretty mad at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users