Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64bit system ... do i need 64bit adobe flash version???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oakshield

oakshield

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

I've just updated my flash version on Firefox ... but what's running now is Adobe Flash 11.9.r900 (32 bit). I've never noticed before but shouldn't I be running a 64bit version? If so, where do I find one? When installing the new version, Adobe recognised that I was running Windows 64bit.

Thanks ..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hello, Yes

When you download Flash Player installer using 64-bit Internet Explorer, you download the 64-bit Flash Player installer. It installs Flash Player on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer if both are present.

Download Adobe Flash Player

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

The flash updater includes both 32bit and 64bit versions.  What is important is the browser that you are running. Firefox is a 32bit browser so it needs a 32bit Flash Player to play flash video within it.  There is a 64bit version of Internet Explorer and some plugin based browsers, such as Waterfox and Palemoon but to be honest you probably won't get any benefit from from using a 64bit browser.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

The version of Flash needs to match the browser you are using.  If you're using the 32-bit version of Firefox then you need the 32-bit Flash plug-in installed.  You do not need to install the 64-bit version unless you're actually using a 64-bit browser.

#5 oakshield

oakshield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for your responses.

In that case, I don't understand why I'm having problems with streaming from youtube, iplayer etc. Playback is always jerky. It's been an issue since I purchased this machine. It's a HP G6 Pavilion Laptop. Here's the specs.

Microprocessor - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-3210M

Chipset - Intel HM76 Express

Microprocessor Cache - 3 MB L3 cache

Memory -  6 GB DDR3

Memory Max - Upgradeable to 8 GB DDR3 (2 DIMM)

Video Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4000 (up to 1.65 GB)

Hard Drive - 1 TB SATA (5400 rpm) Up to 24 GB partition for system recovery

Multimedia Drive -  SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with double layer support

Display -  39.6 cm (15.6") HD BrightView LED-backlit (1366 x 768)

Network Card -    Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN

OS ... Windows 8 64

I've enabled hardware acceleration. I've also disabled it. Flash is always kept up to date. My display adapter driver is up to date.The problem is even worse when using Firefox ... so I don't use it for streaming. Could it be a problem with my ISP. My broadband speed is usually a pretty steady 20mb. Ping and jitter are negligible. Is there anything else I could try? Change anything in 'Advanced' Internet Options in IE?

Thanks ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users