Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus X550CA-DB51

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hello. I'm in the market for a new laptop. I use mine for internet, business activity, and personal matters. The only games I play are Solitaire and Hangman.

I stopped in a store over the weekend and one of the salesmen recommended the Asus X550CA-DB51 and I have some questions.

1. I've never heard of Asus (until this weekend). Is it a reliable brand?

2. The Asus has a 1.8 GHz Intel Core i%-3337U Dual core processor. My current laptop has a 2.0 GHz Inten Core 2 Duo Processor P7350. Doesn't this mean my current laptop is faster and better since it has a 2.0 processor rather than a 1.8?

3. My current laptop has 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 VGA port, 1 HDMI port, and 1 LAN. The Asus has only 2 USB ports and no LAN. Should this be a cause for concern? (I normally connect a printer, scanner, phone, and external drive.)

4. What other questions should I be asking? What other comparisons should I make?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

1. ASUS is a great brand, very reliable hardware, I almost always try to get ASUS components when upgrading my PC, and their laptops are very reliable.

2. based on that one criteria, yes your Core 2 Duo is faster, but without considering all the other aspects its like basing the quality of a car on 0-60 time alone, and ignoring the top speed, number of gears, type of suspension, how it corners, etc etc etc. The i5 will be a lot faster than a Core 2 Duo, no question.

3. unless you need the VGA/HDMI for use with an external screen there is no need to worry about not having them, and for the USB ports you can always get a hub for expansion.

4. For what you are going to use it for there really isnt that much you need to consider, you need only the most basic of laptops.

I'm not sure where you are from, but here (US) you can get a much newer, system with similar specs for cheaper, everything around here has it listed as discontinued so I can't even find detailed specs, but it is listed for around $6-700...around here you can find one with the same or better specs for around $400

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks, GreenGiant117! I appreciate the reply. I'm in NYC and the Asus was priced at $599. Where would you recommend I look for one with better specs for around $400? Which models would that price be?

Thanks again.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

So I exagerated a little with the 400 number there, but this Acer is 100 less than the one that you mentioned, similar in specs, will still run anything that you mentioned.

This ASUS is 50 less than the original one, with virtually the same specs but its much thinner (ultrabook) it also has 3 USB ports rather than 2 (one being a USB 3.0 as well)

This Lenovo is 100 less and has a nice battery life and is a really solid build

Here we go, a $400 Lenovo with decent specs, again more than enough for what you want to do.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thanks. I'll look into these. Buying a new computer is almost as difficult as buying a house or changing jobs! Oy vey!

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Today at the computer store the sales clerk recommended an Asus x55oca.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983649-REG/asus_x550ca_db51_15_6_notebook_computer.html

The price is certainly right, but it only has two USB ports and I normally use four. The clerk suggested I buy a USB hub.

Is buying such a hub okay or should I find a computer with more USB ports?

Is this model okay?

Thanks.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Personal Opinion get one with more USB ports that You need.

You may need more ports in the future and what if one gets damaged.

Get one with USB3 ports.

A hub can cause slowdowns when transferring data to or from external storage devices. USB3 ports for speed.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Thanks, rotor123.

0 user(s) are reading this topic