Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS Checksum errors - Strange behavior?????

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ibewsparky55

ibewsparky55

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi,

For awhile now I had been experiencing a Checksum error on my laptop. Thinking it was most likely the CMOS battery problem I replaced the battery. When I booted the laptop I received the Checksum error and entered the BIOS setup. I changed the date and time to be correct, saved the settings on exit and the computer booted to windows A-OK. To test the new battery I did the following:

1. Restart computer with power supply plugged in - Re-booted to windows properly

2. Restart computer with power supply unplugged and running on battery - Re-booted to windows properly

3. Shutdown and then re-started computer with power supply plugged in - Re-booted to windows properly

4. Shutdown and then re-started computer with power supply unplugged and running on battery - Received Checksum error and had to enter BIOS setup to change date and time to current.

Can anyone explain to me what could be causing the Checksum error only when the computer is Shutdown and then re-started without the power supply being plugged in? Just FYI this is happening on a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate with no other software installed. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have!

Monty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Sorry, but you got a bad battery. This happens sometimes. There is a lot of stale stock floating around. I've replaced some CMOS batteries in customer laptops only to have them fail in a week or two. I've also had a DOA CMOS battery.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yeh somethign si faulty, and the checksum is telling you that when its doing the POST it is detecting an error with the battery or power supply/adaptor.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

It may be the battery so when you go back in, clean the contacts on the battery holder.  That could be another cause for a supposed good battery to fail.  I have seen the battery leak everywhere (cheap battery) and even eat traces off a PCB. The battery is only there to hold the BIOS settings and keep the clock running.  If no battery, default settings are set and the date/time reverts to the BIOS date.

#5 ibewsparky55

ibewsparky55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

To all,

I do think it's the CMOS battery. The CMOS battery (CR2032) on my Sager laptop is easy to get to, but its the type that has a cable and 2-pin connector as an assembly. I do have a bulky, encased holder for a CR2032 that I spliced an old 2-pin connector and leads to and with a fresh CR2032 everything works as it should. I'm going to figure out a way to install a standard CR2032 coin-style holder with leads and the 2-pin connector so I don't have to try and find a factory CR2032 w/ integral leads and connector. Any thoughts or ideas out there? Thanks for all of your input!

Monty

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Readily Available

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users