Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZeroAccess Infection - ReInstall Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have/had a ZeroAccess Infection and have been unable to get my desktop and icons back.  I have not had success with getting assistance.  Since this has been the case for over a week, I am now ready to wipe my drive clean and reinstall the OS and start from scratch.

My question is, will the Windows7 DVD wipe my hard drive clean before installing Windows or is there still a chance that this infection may still be hiding on the hard drive.  What methods do I need to undertake to ensure that the drive is free and clean before installing Windows 7 again.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

To ensure nothing is left on the drive use Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN).  This will wipe your drive.  Back up any data you want before running DBAN as you won't get it back after.

After the drive has been wiped you should be able to install Windows 7 without issue.

#3 Swantee

Swantee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

Before you reinstall—I was having the same problem. It was not caused by a virus/Zero access in my case (Though 'Google' keep installing endless Zero access files in my computer--Isolated them with Rkill)—refer to Topic……. Lost my Desktop trying to fix Internet Explorer’ and try the simple process I used to fix the problem.

Edited by Swantee, 17 December 2013 - 06:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users