Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep Mode problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlueTulip

BlueTulip

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

My Dell desktop had been going in and out of sleep mode for the last 4 years without a problem.

But recently, it no longer is able to wake up from sleep. The keyboard, mouse or start button no longer can get a response out of it. I have changes the batteries in my wireless mouse and keyboard.

I have tried to adjust every possible configuration in the power settings but nothing has solved it.

I am now using Hibernate mode. It wakes from hibernation about 70% of the time.
I would very much like to be able to use sleep mode again.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

This might be worth a look: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/950-power-plan-restore-default-settings.html

Hope this helps

Good Luck

#3 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have been re-imaging a Dell laptop recently and have had similar issues with both 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions of Windows 7 - I am guessing since you posted here that you are running Windows 7 ,since you don't specify your OS or laptop model.

After the initial install of Windows 7 (both versions), Sleep and Hibernate worked correctly, then became intermittent and eventually I was almost never able to get them to work.

From the research I did into this problem, this is likely a driver issue - the usual suspects being video or wireless drivers.

In my case, the problem was neither of these but was driver related.

Note that Windows Update has pushed out a few driver updates recently - video and Gbit Lan drivers were two I spotted in case you don't think you have updated your drivers.

I resolved this issue by restoring back using system restore, then systematically reapplying driver updates and testing Sleep and Hibernate and either rolling back drivers or creating new retsore points.

I think that the problem is that newer drivers from the chipset manufacturers aren't always 100% compatible with all PC's, and sometimes you have to stick with the older drivers provided (and possibly modified) by the PC manufacturers.

Steve O.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users