Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doesn't Get To Post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fincaman

fincaman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hello All, this my first post, about four years ago I built my "monster" i7, win 7 pro, 24gb Ram,Nvidia GTX 460, 240 gb SSD C: drive, 5x 1tb Samsung Spinpoints for storage, 850 watt power supply and a Gigabyte GA-EX-58-UD5 mother board.

I often get short power dropouts where I live which sometimes cause the computer to reboot. I came home a few nights ago to find that the very first screen to display on boot was displaying I.E. Gigabyte information and the computer would go no further and didn't get to post. I have taken out all of the RAM sticks but one, disconnected al the HDDs except C:unplugged everything from the USBs. I still get the same thing, on switch on I hear one bleep as before then I get the Gigabyte screen as before but that's where it stays.

Can anyone suggest what to do next ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Pull the CMOS battery for a few minutes, put it back in and try again.

#3 fincaman

fincaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

Pull the CMOS battery for a few minutes, put it back in and try again.

That's the one thing I haven't done because I have reset the CMOS, might it still make a difference ?

#4 fincaman

fincaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have now tried taking the battery out for 20 mins but to no avail I still have the same problem

#5 fincaman

fincaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

Is there anyone out there that can help ?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

From that screen, are you able to enter bios setup? 

Have you tried disconnecting all the hard drives (and any optical drives) *including* c: - just in case it's the c: drive causing the problem?

The motherboard has a diagnostic LED display next to the SATA ports.  What code does it show?  What they mean is apparently in Chapter 5 of the manual (although the definitions given maybe aren't the most helpful!!).

I found a more extensive write up of these diagnostic codes here - http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/39229-gigabyte-award-x58-bios-led-debug-codes.html

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 fincaman

fincaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hello There, I can't get to bios it just sticks, I have disconnected all drives and plugged them into my laptop with a sata to usb converter I have and they all work fine. I will have a look at the led diagnostics and report back.

#8 fincaman

fincaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hello the code is 50 which is initialise USB

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

OK.  Out of interest can you try with no USB devices plugged in at all, just to see whether it gets past that stage of the POST process?

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 fincaman

fincaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I feel a complete idiot I thought I had unplugged everything but I had a tiny USB stick in one of the front ports that I forgot about and guess what ? I unplugged it and the computer boots fine. I should have known better but I forgot it was there. Thanks for your help

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Don't worry, happens to the best of us!  Glad it is fixed anyway :)

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users