Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis Universal Restore fails please help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 exus69

exus69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Hello,

Am using Acronis True Image Home Premium 2014 and trying to restore a system partition i.e. C drive of Toshiba Satellite C660 laptop running Win 7 Ultimate to my new Dell Vostro 2520 laptop using the Universal Restore feature. 

I read about the requirements of the same and have the Chipset & HDD drivers in inf,sys format ready. The whole process of restoring goes ahead smoothly without any missing driver error. However when the Dell laptop restarts, BSOD cry.gif 
It does not boot even in safe mode. After pausing the blue screen I noticed 0x0000007B error which means missing/incompatible HDD driver!! but I've downloaded the same from dell website so I am sure I've the required drivers.

Even changing the ATA/AHCI mode in the BIOS does not help. When I had backed up Toshiba that was in IDE/ATA mode and the new Dell laptop HDD is in AHCI mode coz the drivers on dell website are AHCI drivers.

I don't know where I am going wrong. Can anyone please help me out with the same??

Thank You

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2013 - 05:37 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

See the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

This may or may not work for you. Because you get the BSOD no matter what mode you have, you will have to edit the registry offline. Set BIOs to AHCI and then do the offline registry edit.

You will need to edit these keys and set the value to 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

The Kaspersky Rescue Disk has an offline registry editor. Good Luck.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/8110

#3 exus69

exus69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

Hi JohnC_21,

Thanks for replying. I tried doing that but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Even after changing those two registry values(once in ATA mode and the other in AHCI mode) the OS simply refuses to boot up in either ATA or AHCI mode.

Do you think downloading and installing ATA HDD driver and booting in ATA mode might solve the problem??

Edited by exus69, 18 December 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

I am not sure if it would help but at this point, it couldn't hurt. Just be sure to change the Registry keys back to what they were and set the BIOS to ATA. I am not that familiar with Acronis True Image Home Premium but cloning to different hardware can have it's issues especially when moving between ATA and AHCI. Here is another thought. If the drive in the Toshiba used 512 byte sectors and the Dell has the new advanced format drive that uses 4K sectors, maybe that causes an issue. http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218571en

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hello,

Am using Acronis True Image Home Premium 2014 and trying to restore a system partition i.e. C drive of Toshiba Satellite C660 laptop running Win 7 Ultimate to my new Dell Vostro 2520 laptop using the Universal Restore feature. 

I would expect that not to work.  The O/S, drivers, license applicable to one OEM system...typically are not legally transferable to a different OEM system.  The idea behind cloning a system partition is to have the capability to reinstall/replace the partition on the original system...not to move it to a different system.  If that were possible, then piracy would be rampant and all too easy.

Louis

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hello,

I would expect that not to work.  The O/S, drivers, license applicable to one OEM system...typically are not legally transferable to a different OEM system.  The idea behind cloning a system partition is to have the capability to reinstall/replace the partition on the original system...not to move it to a different system.  If that were possible, then piracy would be rampant and all too easy.

Louis

An even better question is "Why would you want to do this in the first place?" As Hamluis has pointed out, you're violating some licensing restrictions, but why would you want to transfer all of Toshiba's junkware to a new machine, even if it were possible? It's simple to transfer your data, and a new computer should be an opportunity to re-install your apps and have the computer running at peak performance. If you think you can use Acronis to move applications to a new computer, that isn't going to work.

Edited by slgrieb, 19 December 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

@hamluis is correct. I forgot about the computers being OEM. You cannot transfer OEM Windows to different hardware because the activation would fail, but if you had the full retail version of Windows, you could use Acronis to transfer the OS to different hardware but Windows would still have to be activated through Microsoft.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#8 exus69

exus69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention this is a retail Win 7 installation and not OEM. Dell Vostro 2520 comes preinstalled with Ubuntu and I dont use Linux at all. This is more of a trial and error stuff. I got interested in Universal Restore coz the idea of restoring to a dissimilar hardware sounded very exciting. The fact that all the applications alongwith their settings migrating to a different laptop without reformat sounded very interesting.

Btw, I've still not been able to get past the blue screen. Anyways I've not lost hope. Will keep trying and keep you guys updated.

Thanks again,

Cheers :)

Edited by exus69, 21 December 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,571 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

FWIW:  http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/76070-acronis-universal-restore-what-do-you-do-if-it-does-not-work

More

Acronis Website References

Frankly...it seems that Acronis has gone a bit far in advertising enticements, IMO.

Louis

#10 HappyElderGeek

HappyElderGeek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Acronis Universal Restore works, and works well...you just have to get over Acronis' bugs.  The feature works well, despite Acronis' lack of product testing and utter refusal to listen to customers.

First of, here's how I understand it works:  You make a Backup with TrueImage (I'm using 2014).  You restore the image to a different computer, and Universal Restore senses key differences (e.g., in CPU) and changes the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and removes all drivers.  Then, Windows' normal process takes over at reboot after the restore, and proceeds to reinstall all relevant drivers.  If you don't have all the required drivers on the backed-up image, then you still have many drivers to manually identify, download and reinstall to complete the migration.  (Applications check their own licenses; some will demand ransom, some will work fine.)

The problem is that Acronis Universl Restore (AUR) is written by people (apparently in Russia?) without real-world experience.  The most recent debacle over AUR (in TrueImage 2014) is because Acronis programmers expect the Active Partition to be your C: (or whatever other boot drive) you use for Windows.

It starts with the fact that most new systems come with a Recovery partition; when you use this feature, you can restore the system back to the way it was when it was originally shipped to you.  Why you'd ever want to do that and lose all your installed drivers, applications, data and customized configurations is beyond me...I always buy the CD/DVD Windows version with the OEM system, so I have it, but its' not on my disk drive, laying wait for some idiot to destroy my system.  So you can have access to this hidden (and unbackupable) partition, the OEM makes it Active (i.e., bootable); it gains control and waits a few seconds for a specific keystroke which, if it sees, it responds to with a menu of options.  If no keystroke is detected, it passes control to the partition that contains Windows so the system can boot.

When AUR looks at the disk drive of a common brand-name computer, the Active partition is that "Recovery Partition," and Acronis is too dumb to know the difference.  Since it can't find the HAL or any driver information, it simply days, "CAN'T!!!" and refuses to show you the "Universal Restore" option during the restore.  You're hosed, because Acronis doesn't know the environment of the real world you are dealing with.

The best way to solve this problem (proceed at your own risk; this is what I have done; I cannot guarantee it will be best for you):  1) Delete the "Recovery Partion" (now you can't boot).  2)  Run a "Repair" edition of the Windows install from CD/DVD, so it can fix the boot problem.  (Now, if you want, you can recover that wasted space.)  3)  Remove and reinstall Acronis TrueImage Home 2014 on the revitalized system.  4) Make a backup with TrueImage.  5) Make an Acronis Recovery (bootable) CD.  6) Test Universal Restore is working by booting from the recovery CD and start through the steps to match backup sections to partitions.  You should see the "Universal Restore" option in about the third or fourth step (see page 122 et. seq. of the PDF User Manual for details).  If you've gotten there, your ability to use AUR in the future is secure.  Abort the recovery with the knowledge you've overcome Acronis' bug.  If you don't have the AUR indication, then call Acronis support for other solutions.  They refuse to acknowledge my solution, because to do so would be to admit they are wrong, and they can't do that.

By no means is this the only problem/solution.  There are other, documented, reasons that AUR won't work.  Someday, Acronis will fix this problem, too (they always do, with every new release of product), but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users