Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Computer (2)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 daic

daic

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

Hello again,

A few months back I had a post which had settled on what to purchase, i was intending to upgrade to a much higher end PC, but due to the other one dieing sooner than expected, i had to settle for a $600 build.

Now, as things have settled, and new items are on the market, I am back to the "drawing board", finally able to build the higher end PC i was aiming for.

Here's my thoughts per section, some with product examples.

CPU:

Spoiler

CASE:

Spoiler

MOTHERBOARD:

Spoiler

MEMORY:

Spoiler

GRAPHICS CARD:

Spoiler

POWER SUPPLY:

Spoiler

HDD/SSD:

Spoiler

USAGE/CONCLUSION:

Spoiler

~Thank you for your time

-daic

Edited by daic, 16 December 2013 - 03:56 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

I would suggest a couple of things. First, going with Intel will probably net you a better over-all experience than the AMD you are looking at. Namely due to the power consumption. You are looking at 134Watts of power being used by the CPU, that could otherwise be put to better use. (EDIT: Clarification - AMD is using 134 watts MORE power)

Second, I would suggest swapping out the power supply. The OCZ ModXtreme is not one of their better units. Moving to the ZS or ZT series would net you better quality. Of course, other quality options exist as well. I generally recommend going PC Power and Cooling, or Corsair TX/HX/AX. Antec EarthWatts, HCG, and HCP, as well as most Seasonic power supplies (especially the X series) are all great choices as well. I generally recommend a strong focus on clean power delivery, as that can make or break stability of the machine long term. 

When going into the SSD's, your 256GB drives appear to be the sweet spot right now regarding raw performance numbers. However, you aren't likely to notice 10~20MB/sec swings from one drive to the next. Also, depending on the sales available at the time, you might also consider Plextor. I have two of them right now, and they are both quite solid.

Edited by waldojim42, 16 December 2013 - 05:30 AM.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#3 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:00 AM

I would suggest a couple of things. First, going with Intel will probably net you a better over-all experience than the AMD you are looking at. Namely due to the power consumption. You are looking at 134Watts of power being used by the CPU, that could otherwise be put to better use. (EDIT: Clarification - AMD is using 134 watts MORE power)

Second, I would suggest swapping out the power supply. The OCZ ModXtreme is not one of their better units. Moving to the ZS or ZT series would net you better quality. Of course, other quality options exist as well. I generally recommend going PC Power and Cooling, or Corsair TX/HX/AX. Antec EarthWatts, HCG, and HCP, as well as most Seasonic power supplies (especially the X series) are all great choices as well. I generally recommend a strong focus on clean power delivery, as that can make or break stability of the machine long term. 

When going into the SSD's, your 256GB drives appear to be the sweet spot right now regarding raw performance numbers. However, you aren't likely to notice 10~20MB/sec swings from one drive to the next. Also, depending on the sales available at the time, you might also consider Plextor. I have two of them right now, and they are both quite solid.

Thank you for the input.

From a performance standpoint (heat output and power consumption aside), does the FX-9590 perform better than the i7-4770k? (this is of course for the $300 bracket, before the $500 plus Intel processors)

I will take a look into the PSU's mentioned; with more thought, id rather extra watts with this build.

If a SSD chain wont help with performance, ill most likely go with the 256 (or so) SSD, and use a HDD for edition storage.

Do you know the transfer speed difference from a SSD to SSD comparing to SSD to HDD?

Edited by daic, 16 December 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

#4 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

A lot of the performance differences are very hit or miss. with Adobe PS for example, the AMD chip is slower than an i5 3570, but with POV ray, it is nearly on par with the i7 3960X (the $1,000 Intel SB-E offering). As for games, it really depends on the game, though AMD never really scores a real "victory". With Skyrim, for example, the 4770K will net you about a 50fps higher frame rate, while Far Cry 3 (AMD's only real victory that I have found), shows a 2fps lead for AMD. The end result here, is that the i7 tends to be more consistent.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62166-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz.html

As for power supplies, wattage is typically not a number you should focus on - but rather the amperage. Namely to the point that you get the power where you need it most. IE: the 12V rail. Also, you have to watch how they are rated. Many cheaper units, like the ModXtreme, and Cooler Master PSU's, are rated at 25C, an unrealistic temperature. At a normal operating temp of 35C, you lose power. A properly rated unit, like those mentioned above, is rated at either 40C or 50C, and is capable of truly delivering the power you are paying for. Point is, don't go cheap on a power supply when the options are there.

As for performance differences across SSD's. The difference from one modern SSD to the next tends to be about 10~20MB/sec read speeds, and up to 200MB/sec write speeds. Standard spinners hit about 120~150MB/sec read and up to 100MB/sec write speed. A Plextor M3 Pro (What I am using) reads at about 540 MB/sec and writes at about 420MB/sec. The slower version basically cut the write speed in half, and the read speed dropped to 520MB/sec. The thing is, during every day gaming - you cannot tell the difference. I own both drives, and honestly cannot tell the difference. The real gain from spinners, is the access time. Spinners need time to get from one location on the disk to another. SSD's do not.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#5 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

A lot of the performance differences are very hit or miss. with Adobe PS for example, the AMD chip is slower than an i5 3570, but with POV ray, it is nearly on par with the i7 3960X (the $1,000 Intel SB-E offering). As for games, it really depends on the game, though AMD never really scores a real "victory". With Skyrim, for example, the 4770K will net you about a 50fps higher frame rate, while Far Cry 3 (AMD's only real victory that I have found), shows a 2fps lead for AMD. The end result here, is that the i7 tends to be more consistent.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62166-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz.html

As for power supplies, wattage is typically not a number you should focus on - but rather the amperage. Namely to the point that you get the power where you need it most. IE: the 12V rail. Also, you have to watch how they are rated. Many cheaper units, like the ModXtreme, and Cooler Master PSU's, are rated at 25C, an unrealistic temperature. At a normal operating temp of 35C, you lose power. A properly rated unit, like those mentioned above, is rated at either 40C or 50C, and is capable of truly delivering the power you are paying for. Point is, don't go cheap on a power supply when the options are there.

As for performance differences across SSD's. The difference from one modern SSD to the next tends to be about 10~20MB/sec read speeds, and up to 200MB/sec write speeds. Standard spinners hit about 120~150MB/sec read and up to 100MB/sec write speed. A Plextor M3 Pro (What I am using) reads at about 540 MB/sec and writes at about 420MB/sec. The slower version basically cut the write speed in half, and the read speed dropped to 520MB/sec. The thing is, during every day gaming - you cannot tell the difference. I own both drives, and honestly cannot tell the difference. The real gain from spinners, is the access time. Spinners need time to get from one location on the disk to another. SSD's do not.

Thanks again for replying.

At a look at the link (read through most of it so far) it does seem the AMD is almost there with the FX-9590,but not quite.

I was willing to deal with the extra heat output, but since the performance isnt that much more (when it is), ill likely save the money on the cooling for the FX-9590.

For the SSD, its more for when "alt-tabbing" between higher end games, to do another high processing task - this is where i the SSD's coming into handy, to help smooth that process, and help with load times when "zoning" to another section of a game.

This PSU will definately be of higher quality than the OCZ one i currently use.

Seems like the i7-4770k is becoming the better choice, even if the FX-9590 does have that little extra.

Most likely go with the i7-4770K, and upgrade the processor when their new $500 and $1000 processors drop down in price,just need the new motherboard to allow the upgrade, of course.

With that, ill check into motherboards some more, see what comes up (will be done later tonight).

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#6 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

These are my suggestions, however I do highly recommend you take into account other people's suggestions as well like you have been.

Memory: I think you'll be fine with 8 gigs of memory. That'll save you a couple bucks on your budget. (Unless you want to run two Skyrims and Duke Nukem at once, of course!).

Graphics Card: For sure, continue using the Radeon if you're going to upgrade down the line in the next year. I recommend Nvdia, through my own personal experience I've been very pleased with them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003 You don't have to go with EVGA (don't worry too much about those brands, they all sale the same card, but with upgrades of their own.) The one I linked is overclocked, and has two fans as opposed to one on the Nvdia site.

Edited by ZeroPresence, 17 December 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#7 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:58 AM

These are my suggestions, however I do highly recommend you take into account other people's suggestions as well like you have been.

Memory: I think you'll be fine with 8 gigs of memory. That'll save you a couple bucks on your budget. (Unless you want to run two Skyrims and Duke Nukem at once, of course!).

Graphics Card: For sure, continue using the Radeon if you're going to upgrade down the line in the next year. I recommend Nvdia, through my own personal experience I've been very pleased with them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003 You don't have to go with EVGA (don't worry too much about those brands, they all sale the same card, but with upgrades of their own.) The one I linked is overclocked, and has two fans as opposed to one on the Nvdia site.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes 8GB should do the job just fine, more of a personal preference to have 16GB.

Yes the new cards are quite nice, the two fans on the card is one of the main reason why i wanted to upgrade, since i was dealing more with heating issues then.

Heres a couple motherboards i am considering, though im still looking around.

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87  / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 /   MSI Z87-G45  /    MSI Z87-GD65 /

Cases

Rosewill BLACKHAWK  /  Rosewell PATRIOT / Rosewill THRONE / Rosewell THOR V2

PSU:

Haven't narrowed it down to one yet, but im thinking a 700w-800w will do. (i don't plan on running two cards, i prefer a single high end one.)

SSD/HDD

Thinking of a 256GB SSD and 1-2 TB HDD.

Going from a 64MB cache 7200 rpm HDD to a SSD will be nice.

MEMORY:

Likely the 1866, the ram i currently use is the cheap 1300 ram, so a notice in speed will come from here as well.

Still checking about.

Thanks again for the replys.

Edited by daic, 17 December 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

FWIW this is what I ended up using in the AIO computer

ssd-info.jpg

You will notice that I gave it 10% for Over Provisioning. This is done to optimize performance and lifespan of the drive. It is now up to 0.40Tb written in the last 6 days.

I would steer at the current time of anything from OCZ as they files for Bankruptcy November 27, 2013

Link is here Toshiba may buy assets, no guarantee the company will carry on.

Update here

256Gb is what I would consider a minimum size for a SSD.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

ssd-info.jpg

You will notice that I gave it 10% for Over Provisioning. This is done to optimize performance and lifespan of the drive. It is now up to 0.40Tb written in the last 6 days.

I would steer at the current time of anything from OCZ as they files for Bankruptcy November 27, 2013

Update here

Good Luck

Roger

Sorry for the delay in my response, thank you for the info.

The 256GB range SSD is the sweet spot, not only for price, but for best transfer speeds. Anything higher does delay the read/write as you get higher in space.

For a straight SSD, i am leaning towards a RAID chain. But currently going to go with a SSHD.

Again, sorry for the delay in my update, here's what i have so far- again still checking things out.

Intel Core i5-4440 [better performance for what i do on system, comparing to the i7-4770k]

Zalman gs1200 (Case)

Asus Sabertooth Z87 (Motherboard)

Corsair RM850 (or like PSU)

Zalman FX100 or Corsair H100i (PSU Cooler)

Seagate SSHD

Haven t selected RAM brand as of yet, but will be a base of 1866 8GB at start.

Also decided on taking in a Second ASUS Radeon R9 270X (after initial purchase of base items.)

~Thanks again

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

ssd-info.jpg

Update here

Good Luck
Roger

The 256GB range SSD is the sweet spot, not only for price, but for best transfer speeds. Anything higher does delay the read/write as you get higher in space.
For a straight SSD, i am leaning towards a RAID chain. But currently going to go with a SSHD.

Again, sorry for the delay in my update, here's what i have so far- again still checking things out.

Intel Core i5-4440 [better performance for what i do on system, comparing to the i7-4770k]
Zalman gs1200 (Case)
Seagate SSHD

Also decided on taking in a Second ASUS Radeon R9 270X (after initial purchase of base items.)

~Thanks again
The list looks good but i'd cut back on the power supply to something like 750W which can easily power 2 R9 270X.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

ssd-info.jpg

Update here

Good Luck
Roger

Zalman gs1200 (Case)
Seagate SSHD

~Thanks again
The list looks good but i'd cut back on the power supply to something like 750W which can easily power 2 R9 270X.

Thanks for replying.

I aim to go a little higher in video cards down the line, just wanting to have that set should i go that route later down the line- for the price the 850w isn't bad overall.

Also, out of curiosity, you say "looks", other than the power supply, was there something else you had an opinion on?

~cheers

Edited by daic, 24 December 2013 - 03:19 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

Looking over the list again, everything is perfectly fine :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

Looking over the list again, everything is perfectly fine :)

Thanks for the update - i like to hear all that people have to say, gives best results.

Don't hold back, criticism is appreciated :)

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:35 AM

If you want to cut down on price, the CPU cooler can be downgraded to a H80i as you will not be overclocking.

>Michael 

#15 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

Good point, ill take a closer look at that unit.

With the nice setup of the Zalman GS1200, the other PSU cooler i mentioned (Zalman FX100) may take its place instead of a H100i/H80i.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users