Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 needhelp_please

needhelp_please

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

i have an hp laptop with windows 7 installed that has recently started running really slow. Its gotten to the point where it wont even open programs. I want to completely wipe the hard drive, os and all, and install linux. My problem is that i dont know how to wipe a computer without booting a program from a  cd drive. My laptop has a broken screen and i can only see the screen when its on the windows log in screen. is there anything i can use to wipe the hard drive after logging on to windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:52 AM

Sorry, very short answer... No.

Laptop screens are relatively cheap... generally 60 - 160 $us unless it is very new and/or rare.  I used to order several screens (about 20 or so a year) for clients from http://www.247laptoplcd.com but they seem to be down at the moment. There are several other outlets for screens.  I would fix that problem first if you believe the laptop to be in good shape otherwise.

If that is too expensive you need to reassess your situation because you can also buy a working laptop off of ebay for around 200 ... or new from a retailer for 300... especially around the holidays.

I would also be wary about fixing the screen because in many situations usually the client dropped the laptop and it broke the screen and the hard drive... but you know I am basing this on the info you have given.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 16 December 2013 - 03:57 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Can you attach an external screen to the laptop?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Laptops typically come with a restore to factory defaults option...essentially wipes the existing O/S.  Since you don't seem to want Windows installed...I would simply install the Linux app and delete the Windows partition from it. 

Or try something like DBAN, http://www.dban.org/download .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2013 - 08:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users