Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access files on Disk

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hello,

I was checking some dvds I had

most of them worked just fine and the others when I insert them I just see their sizes

but I can't see the files I tried in different systems and PC and the smae thing

Any solution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Are all the disks the same brand? I know that some brands have a hard time being read in some dvd drives.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

no, they are different brands and I tried them on different computers and the same thing

I was saying if install burn software such as nero and see the files

if I right click on the drive I see close session option

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

If you see the close session option, that means that you are currently viewing the disk and are writing files to the disk. Close session as it states closes the burning session and writes the files to the disk. Did you have the disks labeled? Sounds like you could of picked up the wrong disk thinking that it contained media but it's actually blank.

#5 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

If you see the close session option, that means that you are currently viewing the disk and are writing files to the disk. Close session as it states closes the burning session and writes the files to the disk. Did you have the disks labeled? Sounds like you could of picked up the wrong disk thinking that it contained media but it's actually blank.

what you are saying is correct but why it shows the wrong size of the disk I tried to format it and didn't work !

that's mean these disks now are garbage

Edited by fadi-sheikh, 16 December 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#6 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

BTW, when I insert a blank dvd a message pops up asking if you want to use the disk as flash drive or burn files to disk for one time use

I remember choosing the option use it as flash drive and when I copied files and eject the disk and insert it again the files disappeared

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

That's correct, it's kind of like making a cdr disk into a cdrw disk without having to pay for cdrw disks. The files are treated as if they were on a usb drive. If you delete a file on the cd, it will be deleted the same way as if it was on a usb drive.

Another reason why CD's are not a reliable source for important information anymore.

Another thing to check is you're saying it's showing a different size than what the disk label says.. The files could have got hidden, and you don't have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled. With the disk inserted, go to Organize-Folder and Search options-View. Then make sure Show hidden files and folders is ticked.

Edited by chrisd87, 16 December 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#8 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

That's correct, it's kind of like making a cdr disk into a cdrw disk without having to pay for cdrw disks. The files are treated as if they were on a usb drive. If you delete a file on the cd, it will be deleted the same way as if it was on a usb drive.

Another reason why CD's are not a reliable source for important information anymore.

Another thing to check is you're saying it's showing a different size than what the disk label says.. The files could have got hidden, and you don't have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled. With the disk inserted, go to Organize-Folder and Search options-View. Then make sure Show hidden files and folders is ticked.

no the files are not hidden I checked that, and the disks working because I copied some files and insert the disk on other PC and it worked

but I don't know how did I lost the actual disk size

#9 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

5ofd.jpg
This is exactly what is happening

I tried formatting the disk and didn't work

Copied some files and used them on different machine and it works

also tried the suggested solutions and didn't work

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

If you put the same disk into the BD-Rom (E:) that is showing in the screenshot does it show the correct size? Also what does it say when you try to format the disk? If you get a blank disk that you have never copied any files to, does it still show the wrong size?

#11 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

If you put the same disk into the BD-Rom (E:) that is showing in the screenshot does it show the correct size? Also what does it say when you try to format the disk? If you get a blank disk that you have never copied any files to, does it still show the wrong size?

BD-Rom is a virtual from Daemon tool

when I format the disk it doesn't give me any error

no if I insert clean blank disk will show the normal size

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Ok, I was just wanting to make sure that the dvd rom was working correctly. Try to uncheck the "hide protected windows operating system files" in the same place that you went to check "Show hidden files and folders". I want to see if there is some hidden windows files that's taking up that tiny amount of space.

Edited by chrisd87, 19 December 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#13 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

there is a file called desktop and its size 13kb

that's all

#14 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

That accounts for some of it, but not all of the space that's showing in the screenshot you took. Sounds like you may just have a bad disk. I don't know what to tell you at this point because if the files are not on the disk then to my knowledge you can't get them back. If you're able to copy files to another disk and the dvd drive reads and writes to the disk successfully then the disk that you can't access files on has gone bad imo. Maybe someone else can chime in with their opinion on this and can provide more insight that I could be missing.

In the future, I would put important information on a flash drive as they are more reliable than cds and dvds and the price has came down tremendously on them.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_writing

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users