Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dv6338se wifi network card problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 swtechworks

swtechworks

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

I am working on a friends hp dv6338se which had a bad hard drive when he brought it to me which I replaced. I installed Windows 7 on it and it doesn't seem to recognize the broadcom wireless network card that is in it. My friend tells me that it worked before the hard drive crashed though he was running windows vista. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work. I even disconnected it and reconnected it and the computer still does not find the device. All the drivers are installed on the computer and doesn't show that any are missing. Under network adapters in the device manager it just shows the wired LAN card. I tried installing the broadcom driver and the HP wireless agent thinking it might make a difference but didnt. Should I assume that the card is bad and go after a new one? Or is there something that I am missing because I installed Windows 7 on it? He very much wants windows 7 and I would rather not reformat it and reinstall vista if it is not needed. Only thing I can think of is that it is a hardware issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

these are generally the series of hp laptops that had a manufacturing problem where the heat would separate the connections from the motherboard and you no longer have wireless internet ... or in some cases the computer would not boot up at all.

In your case that you can not get wireless internet I would recommend that you purchase a 15 - 50 $us usb wireless adapter and go about your way.

If you want directions on how to resolderer parts onto a motherboard... well I am not so good at that.  

#3 swtechworks

swtechworks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

So your saying that heat would have caused the the slot to seperate from the board? I know that the card isn't attached to the mother board it is a separate piece, so I don't know how heat would have caused it to separate unless you're referring to the slot. I don't understand why it would have worked prior to me getting ahold of it tho amd now all the sudden doesn't. I have thought about just getting a USB wifi card but it isn't my computer so before I tell my friend that I wanted to exhaust all my options.

#4 swtechworks

swtechworks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

Today I stripped a Dell network I had laying around and took the wifi card out of it, seems to be different brand, same setup. When I installed it into the HP the computer wouldn't even boot to bios, it just cycled power. When I put the old card back in it worked fine, anyone know the reason for this? I would assume they would be interchangeable if they fit the same slot type. I guess I was wrong but wonder why? Anyone have another suggestion on what I might do?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

HP in their infinite wisdom put a whitelist in their BIOS that only allows HP branded wireless cards. I would not recommend messing with the BIOS firmware as you could brick the computer. You can google HP wifi whitelist . If you go to Windows Update does it list a driver for your wireless card?

In Device Manager, right click the wireless adapter and select properties. Paste the vendor and hardware ID here. Is Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? there may be a driver for the broadcom chip from another vendor.

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Wow this thread takes me back ... I had to go way back to find this info

https://web.archive.org/web/20081228160035/http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&lang=en&docname=c01087277

Anyway that motherboard is on the better side of failing (meaning that is hasn't completely failed just that it has issues).  At this point a usb wireless card is easiest options.  Motherboard replacement is the other option.  Sorry to not be more explicit in my answer.  It is very difficult to find a wireless card replacement for HP laptops unless you hack bios and it would not help in case anyway.

HP will not service this laptop for free due to it's age.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 18 December 2013 - 07:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users