Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no migration path from xp to 8.1??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 adaniel

adaniel

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

Seriously?  Millions of people are going to be MAD.

OK, I should have researched this first, but was trying to get a new laptop ready in a hurry to replace an XP machine with problems.  I blew thru the 8.0 install and updated to 8.1.  THEN, when I could not get WET to give me a network option, I found that has been removed in 8.1.  So I copied the migration file from the XP machine to the new 8.1 laptop, only to find that migration is not supported. I should have stopped at 8.0, done the migration, then upgraded to 8.1.   Seriously?

There has to be a way without doing it the old way. 

Any ideas are appreciated.  I googled extensively and kept coming up with snarky, arrogant responses from a Microsoft MVP by the name of Shenan Stanley that were in no way helpful, so I turned to the guys I know will help if they can.

Thanks,

adaniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

There was no migration path from XP to Windows 7 you needed Vista to do that. You could only import 'some' applications. Remember you're skipping two generations going from XP to Windows 8. XP was introduced on 2001, Windows 8 in 2012. Thats 11 years.... With Vista and Windows 7 in between XP and Windows 8.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

I guess I misspoke.  What I am trying to do is move data from an old XP machine to a new Windows 8.1 machine; not migrate from XP to 8.1 on the same machine.  I migrated (moved data from)  two XP laptops to Windows 7 earlier this year using Windows Easy Transfer over a network.  It transferred everything:  Exchange email, favorites, documents, desktop, everything.  It was the easiest thing I have ever done.  Took less than five minutes to initiate, and when it was finished, everything was there on the new machine, right where you would expect it to be.

adaniel

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

That would be due to this is the age of people using cloud drives and Has. MS expects everyone at this point, to not have stuff saved on their computer, but up in the cloud.

#5 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Please, if you cannot offer advice on how to accomplish what I requested, refrain from editiorial comments.  If I want those I can go to Microsoft's site.

adaniel

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Please, if you cannot offer advice on how to accomplish what I requested, refrain from editiorial comments.  If I want those I can go to Microsoft's site.

adaniel

Wow. I am sure glad I do not have your attitude or mentality. Sure hope that no one around you, is as miserable about stuff as you are.

Tell you what. If you do not like the information given out on these forums, then you are welcome to seek it at those you mentioned.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

What I am trying to do is move data from an old XP machine to a new Windows 8.1 machine; not migrate from XP to 8.1 on the same machine. 

You could use an external drive. Hook it up to your XP system, copy whatever to it, hook up the external drive to the new machine and copy it back to Documents, Pics, Favorites, etc. As for your email not sure how to transfer that over.

That would be due to this is the age of people using cloud drives and Has. MS expects everyone at this point, to not have stuff saved on their computer, but up in the cloud.

Not everyone uses cloud. I don't. Everything I have is saved on my computer which is regularly backed up to my external drive. Just because Microsoft expects it does not mean all people actually do it.  

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

What I am trying to do is move data from an old XP machine to a new Windows 8.1 machine; not migrate from XP to 8.1 on the same machine.

You could use an external drive. Hook it up to your XP system, copy whatever to it, hook up the external drive to the new machine and copy it back to Documents, Pics, Favorites, etc. As for your email not sure how to transfer that over.

Not everyone uses cloud. I don't. Everything I have is saved on my computer which is regularly backed up to my external drive. Just because Microsoft expects it does not mean all people actually do it.
Go back and re-read what I posted. If you have any complaints with that remark, take it up with Microsoft's Sales & Marketing.

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Ive had this same issue and ecspecially with reparse/jumplists points. All i do is make sure they are both turned on and then navigate to the \\somemachine\C$\ and copy the files over.

Remember that %appdata% << Romaing data and %localappdata% << local fiels such as Outlook.OST.  instead of documents and settings its C:\users. The structure iss till the same and the global variabels are still the same they just point to different areas but they still maintain the parse points like (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data  is not accessible but can create folders in C:\ProgramData because because all that variable does is loop back)

#10 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful posts.  I accomplished the task manually much as JohnnyJammer suggested.  It was not that bad, but certainly not as easy as WET.  As I said, this one was not bad, but there are many more of these to come.  Some will not be so easy.  Just cannot believe MS took away such a useful tool.

Guess we can close this topic.

Best to all,

adaniel

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Glad to hear you sorted it out using JJ's suggestion. When it comes to what Microsoft thinks you should or should not need, folks can always find workarounds. Where there is a will there is a way.

We do not close topics in this forum unless a member has been asked to post a log in the Malware Removal Logs forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yeh its a work around, you could create a automated script (Batch) for doing this by just inputing the targetmachiens name and then let it run. As system administrators, we would love Microsoft to do things properly but they shove these issues down our throat lol.

If its not on a  domain, just make sure you can access it with (net use \\targetmachine\ipc$) it will then prompt for username and password, i find it better initiating this command before proceeding with any xcopy command.

#13 Shenans

Shenans

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Good job!

#14 grfxguy

grfxguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Microsoft made a deal with LapLink to offer a free version of PC Mover Express for use when migrating from XP to 8.1 You can find it here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/xp/transfer-your-data.aspx

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Caveat to this free offer:

*Will run only if source PC is Windows XP and destination PC is Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. The free data transfer will not migrate your apps.

The last sentence is what I am specifically referring to.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users