Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I eliminate HDD Clone partition?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 with a 1TB HDD running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Please ignore my sig, that's the desktop and probably outdated. Anyway the hard drive is split into 3 partitions and I do not like it. I like Green eggs and ham better than my hard drive setup. I have the main (C:\) sized at 578 GB and I have a recovery (D:\) sized at 21.6 GB and then I have the problem partition being (P:\) sized at another 578 GB. It looks to me like the P:\ drive is just an exact mirror of C:\ and this I don't like. I don't like it because now I'm looking at "45 GB" of free space when in fact I should have over 500 left. If I want to mirror my drive I have an external 1GB I can use. I don't need a backup system on the PC.

So what might be causing it? How can I stop it copying? Can I expand the C:\ partition wiping the P:\ without impairing the functionality of the existing software installed on C:\ partition?

AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

Well nowaday's some programs are doing interesting things with the 'P' partition... the largest of such programs is the office 2010 starter edition... If you/or someone on your computer opted into the program it created a 'P" partition that allowed it to run.  If you don't need that program then by all mean delete it ... but take care it someone is using that MS Word Starter 2010 or Excel starter 2010.... if you delete that partition I don't think those programs are gonna work so well.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

If HP partitioned the hard drive in said manner...I would leave it as is.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users