Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about gfx/power supply upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Garzhod

Garzhod

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hey all! New to this forum. I was considering throwing in a graphics card + power supply combo to my extremely terrible computer.

I was planning to get this card with this power supply.

Budget must be under $250 or so.

If I purchase these two items, will they be compatible? Also will I have to purchase any extra cables? 

Also was wondering if this is the "best bang for my buck". I would like a card that can play most games at decently high settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

You should be OK assuming you have enough room in your case, and I won't even venture into that.

That Coolermaster EPP500 functions just well enough not to be called trash, barely.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027 is an alternative (29.99 AR).  Not a whole lot of options on 500 watt PSUs for the $50 mark, the Corsair is a steal for what you get.  You might be able to get a CX500M for around the $50 mark after rebate if you shop around.

Look around.  You can find a GTX760, or a GTX660Ti for the low $200 range if you can live with rebates.  Might be some bargains in January.  Older AMD/ATI cards are just outrageous as far as price goes due to litecoin mining. 

Edited by dpunisher, 15 December 2013 - 10:32 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

power supplies for a budget gamer is a touchy subject. the spec i would suggest checking into is the amperage on the +12v. usually an amperage over 50 is sufficient for the budget conscious. most gaming cards recommend over 40 amps.  most coolermasters have insuffient amperage, corsairs usually fit the ticket.  the amd equivalent to the 660 is the 7850/7870. i would still rather have the stalwart 660 myself, but some games fare better with the radeon class cards.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users