Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I rescind remote access ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brseavey

brseavey

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Suppose you have granted remote to your computer to, e.g., a technician who is helping you fix something. You have not given them a user account. How do you ensure that later they no longer have access to your computer. Is there some file that needs to be cleaned out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

That depends. What software did you use to give them access? If you don't know the name, describe step by step what they had you do to give them access.

Most, if not all, reputable remote access tools do not have persistence; they require acceptance from you every time the remote user wishes to connect.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just turn off Remote management in Services. I only use Team viewer, never RDP in Windows,too many risks as you have found out already.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

That depends. What software did you use to give them access? If you don't know the name, describe step by step what they had you do to give them access.Most, if not all, reputable remote access tools do not have persistence; they require acceptance from you every time the remote user wishes to connect.

All the remote user needs is username and password of the OP, and the OSwould never be the wiser.

The first thing that happens on all machines I manage, is disable Remote access, then install Team viewer, using a strong random password for inventation, that changes after each time you allow a request.

That way no one with previous access, can gain access again with the previous assigned password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users