Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about AC adapters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SoXfused

SoXfused

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hello,

I have a 300 AMP jump starter for my car, and the AC wall plug adapter/charger that came with it recently cracked and broke.  Could you tell me where I can find another AC adapter to charge my battery?  On the one that came with the jump starter, it says that it has an output of 13.5 volts, but all I can find online that come close to that are 12 volt adapters.  Is it OK to use a 12 volt adapter?  Also, does it matter what the Hz and mA are on the adapter? 

I would appreciate your help so that I know what kind of an AC adapter I should buy to replace my broken one. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Is it OK to use a 12 volt adapter?

In this case it would likely be ineffective, you need more than 12V to charge a 12V battery. Because of the way battery chargers operate, it's important to use the correct type of transformer so that the battery charges properly and nothing overheats. Can you find any reference anywhere to the actual brand or model of the starter pack, or have you checked if the place of purchase can source a replacement transformer (I realize replacement parts are often not available for such products, but you never know...)?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Did it get run over? :)

The 12 volt unit is probably regulated at 12 volts, and will not work well as a charger.  The old one probably was unregulated, and put out 13.6 volts at the mA rating of the unit.  As the battery charged, it's output voltage actually would rise a bit so that the battery would get a full charge. 

Post the entire text on the old charger and maybe someone can point you to a usable replacement.  The voltage and current are both important. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users