Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a SSHD hybrid in a 15" laptop, along with a fresh OS, advice please?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wreck9967

wreck9967

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've got an HP dv6 laptop running Windows 7 x64 with a 1TB HDD, and I recently bought a new hard drive, a 1TB SSHD seagate hybrid drive, for it. I'm looking to install the new hard drive as a clean restart as far as OS and files go, since I have a license to Windows 8.1 pro through my school. So I'm here for any advice on what to do, since this is my first time to do anything like this (installing a new primary hard drive and installing a new OS)

I have a 3TB external (WD my book) to help me along, since my plans are to make a full backup of everything onto the external, then start anew. Also I have an 8 gig flash drive I'm thinking might be helpful for the OS install, which is through Microsoft's DreamSpark

I probably could just find a walkthrough online but I would rather get somebody who knows what I'm doing to help me along.

One main concern that I have is that I have a few issues with my computer (the main reason I'm starting fresh with a new hard drive) that I have deciphered to be BIOS issues, would my plan eliminate those? I know BIOS is beneath OS but I was hoping any bugs might get kinked out when going through the installation...

Another concern that isn't really a concern, does this mean I will lose all of the pre-loaded HP software? Because I'm completely cool with that.

So yeah any help is greatly appreciated, I probably won't get started for a few days, allowing a solid amount of time for anybody to offer advice or for me to answer any supplemental questions.

If it's necessary, my laptop has;

4GB RAM, I want to say DDR3, I bought it in May 2011

Intel i7-2820QM processor

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Reinstalling Windows will not resolve a BIOS issue.  You would need to update the BIOS.

You will lose all of the HP software.  If you want it I'm sure you can also get that from HP.

DO NOT connect the machine directly to the Internet, always set up a machine behind at least a router.

Download all of the drivers from HP before you start.

Disconnect all unneeded drives

Install Windows 8.1 Pro

Install drivers

Install anti-virus software

Install the rest of your software

Restore your data.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

You could clone the old hard drive...to the new drive...and lose nothing.

I'm curious as to how you determined that you have "BIOS issues".

Exactly what are these "BIOS issues"?

Louis

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

wreck9967, don't take this wrong, but your post is unfocused and confusing. Your school can deploy any of their subscribed DreamSpark software in several different ways, but I would think that most commonly you would get Win8.1 on a DVD. That makes it easy to do a new installation, but you might want to talk with your school IT department to confirm. I'm not sure what you mean by backing up "everything".  If you want to copy your data files, you can do it by a simple copy to the external drive. Generally, the system is going to run a lot better if you use a Win8.1 clean install .That just means you choose the Custom Installation option, and follow the instructions to set up a new drive. Again, that's assuming you've copied your data first.

But, like hamluis and RKilroy , I'm really dubious about your diagnosis of a problem in your BIOS, and I'd very much like to see why you think that's the case. On the other hand, if the problem is software related a clean installation  to a new hard drive will fix it.

Edited by slgrieb, 18 December 2013 - 11:19 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 wreck9967

wreck9967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the responses! Sorry about any lack of clarity, I don't exactly know what I'm doing which is why I'm here.

To clarify, I don't want to clone my old one, I want to stick it all on my external and start anew, as if I had just wiped my current one had it not been failing. That isn't what I'm asking for help on, it's just the entire process of installing a new hard drive I don't know how to do (any computer I've ever owned came with an OS pre-installed). So essentially I do want to lose everything... just after backing it up for documents and a few save files.

Now, as a wrench in the mix, turns out I have to be enrolled in a computing class to be eligible for dreamsark at my school, which I'm not, so I'll just be sticking with a fresh install of 7. But my computer box didn't include an install CD when I bought it, so I'm completely stuck there.

Issues:

Crash on attempting to sleep or hibernate at some point after the monitor turns off

Random BSODs with "PFN list" errors that have been occurring for far too long for me to know what started them (I didn't stop to fix them because of how vital not going a week without my laptop was for school, and this might not be a bios issue)

Launching internet explorer is an instant BSOD (this one doesn't seem like bios, but I might as well mention it)

Any update for IE doesn't install

Every time I boot up the computer, after I sign in I instantly get two error pop ups saying some DLL is missing. DLLs that I have never seen and cannot find any information on, "C:/.../AppData/Roaming/kragi.dll" and "C:/.../AppData/Roaming/wlims.dll"

Even things like SFC scannow fail to complete, although at least I don't blue screen...

I've posted about them before months ago but after a little bit the thread died without anything getting fixed. Over a year ago I posted under a different username which I have forgotten and no longer have access to the email account it would have been linked to, and that was for some malware issues that I was walked through combofix, which in my previous post on this account everybody saw as red flags but I didn't exactly know where to go from there. I think hamluis was one of the people that tried to help me...

Also, quick forum question, can I not edit the first post? I just wanted to update it with the new info about how I'll be using 7 instead of 8...

Edited by wreck9967, 19 December 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

All the problems you describe sound like software issues, and I would expect a fresh installation of Windows and re-installing your applications software should fix your glitches. Honestly, booting from a Windows installation DVD and following the prompts is very straightforward. Any questions you have should be addressed to your college's  IT department, since they are supplying the software.

Edited by slgrieb, 19 December 2013 - 06:36 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 wreck9967

wreck9967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

It was my school's IT department that told me the hibernation issues were bios...

And since I'm no longer able to get w8, I don't think I need my school for reinstalling w7

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

Once again, I don't think your computer problems are BIOS related. If you had BIOS issues, they should have appeared from the first day you owned the computer. In any case, I'm still sure that a fresh installation of your OS and software will fix what ails you. Sorry that you can't get that Windows 8.1 upgrade anymore, and I'm sorry that your college doesn't have a more experienced IT staff. All the same, if you don't want to clone the old drive and prefer to do a fresh installation of Windows, you need bootable  media, and that means  you  need to buy the sofware if your school isn't supplying it. You can buy an online upgrade from MS, but that generally means that you are just migrating the problems with your old OS to a new one. Alternatively, most manufacturers will sell you a set of restore disks really cheap.

Edited by slgrieb, 19 December 2013 - 07:23 PM.

WIFFLEBALL!

#9 wreck9967

wreck9967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

Well then, that makes me a lot happier to know they aren't as bad of issues as I thought...

I'll search harder, maybe my computer did come with some sort of installation disk as backup and I've just misplaced the CD, I just do not want to pay for a new license...

#10 The How To Man

The How To Man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hey wreck how you doing? I was reading your thread and I do agree with the rest if the guys on here that your experiencing software issues.

If you want to do a clean install, just back up all your essential files. The way I do it is by opening up my external hdd folder or my usb drive folder, depending on the size of the files, and then either copy or cut it to the destination.

What I usually copy is important documents, pictures, my saved game folders and my website folder.

When you finish doing your back up, that's when you're ready to do a fresh install.

Swaping your hdd shouldn't be hard. If you like you could send me your hp model number and I'll tell you how to do it.

Most Hp laptop has the windows product key underneath the computer. You could call Micrisoft and explain that your hdd failed and you lost all your files (I have done this plenty of times) and you would like a copy of windows 7.

They will ask you for the product key. If your product key sticker is worn out (very common) just tell them is not readable and will ask some more question.

Micrisoft might tell you to download the windows 7 software, you just need to burn the iso image to a dvd disk. If you need help with this I would gladly help out.

Good Luck on your endeavors.

Brian
TheHowToMan.com

#11 wreck9967

wreck9967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

Oh wow that's really good to know about microsoft...

I don't have any spare blank DVDs, do they have software that can be loaded on a flash drive?

And I've got a pavilion dv6t 6100, I know where to access the drive because I took it apart a few weeks ago to clean it, hoping maybe that would solve some heat issues..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users