Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The strangest error message

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm trying to help a buddy figure out why an error message is occurring. Unfortunately there isn't a lot to go on. Simply, every time he starts his computer, he is greeted with an "Error" window that has absolutely no description in it. Just an OK button. Here is a photo of the error message...

yHgSpaP.jpg

I've done the obligatory googling, and have turned up nothing. Anybody know what I should do?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Have you checked event viewer?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7

EDIT: Does it happen in safe mode?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

What os is he running. does he click ok and all is fine? any changes
in software/hardware?

#4 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I just booted it into safe mode, and the error did not occur. He is running windows 7 home premium. If he clicks OK all runs normally afterward.

I've never actually used event viewer before, so I don't know exactly what I am looking at, however there were some errors and warnings in the latest log. It looks like a source called WMI in the application log is giving an error that seems consistent with when I boot the computer. It could also maybe be an error from CVHSVC...but that doesn't look like it's happening every time I boot. (I'm looking under the summary of Administrative events tab...)

As far as changes in software, I'm sure there have been. He's been dealing with this error quite a while now...and I don't know if he'll know when it specifically started occuring...I'll keep you posted though.

In the mean time, does that give you any info to go on?

Thanks!

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

More on WMI management. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg241210.aspx

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users